Realflow (imported to C4D) - How to make edges/corners sharp?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Realflow (imported to C4D) - How to make edges/corners sharp?

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, I am trying to make a simple liquid animation with realflow and am wondering how to get sharp edges like in this animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4DU6CODktY

I am always getting round blobby edges like so:

I've tried importing the meshes to C4d and then doing a boolean with a cube, but it seems like really the wrong way to go about it as it's incredibly slow and ends up making C4D unusable.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Its really a matter of particle resolution and meshing parameters if you want to rule out the boolean step.
Else there is a clipping option when meshing in RF. Third way would be using RFRK to mesh inside Cinema 4D and define the clipping objects there as well.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Yeah, I'd bet its a combination of a low particle count and your mesh settings set in such a fashion that you have large blobs around each particle rather than very small spheres.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thanks!

Thank you for the responses, so should I increase the resolution or the density?

I currently have these settings:
Resolution: 3.0
Density: 2500

The cube has the measurements (via the measure tool):
59.25m^2
Volume: 27892.81l

The blob above has 22950 particles, is that an incredibly small number? Is it possible to try to sharpen the edges via mesh settings?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
I'm not a RF expert, but my 1st thought would be that you need to generate the RF particles INSIDE an object with sharp corners. Either make a Cube in RF, or make it in C4D and export for RF. You'll have to play with the internal/external pressure until the particles push into all the corners without breaking out.

http://www.activateyourimage.com

Old 04 April 2013   #6
it is really hard to say only by reading your settings/values, because it all depends on so many different things:
like scene scale, your mesh settings, field blend factor, filter settings, pressure, density (already mentioned) etc etc. .
nevertheless 22950 particles is VERY VERY little in my opinion.
try filling an object with A LOT (millions) OF particles, and then mesh it and check tutorials for Meshing in siede RF - which is usually the most tricky part for fluid effects.

good luck!
fuat

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Density for itself has no importance here and usual water has around 1000, the resolution is n per liter, which would mean 3 particles per liter in your case. As your container is rather huge you would probably want to use hybrido instead of SPH.

Depending on the definition level you are aiming for it might still be useful wall the clipping mesh path.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread