Alternative modelling package

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Alternative modelling package

Hi all.

I'm curious as to what some of the users have in their arsenal with regards to modelling. We are all aware of C4D's shortcomings in this area so I'm looking at investing in a dedicated modeller. Bear in mind I'm on a Mac so what are the alternatives? WHat brings the most joy to you guys? I'm looking at an all-rounder - good for organic stuff as well as technical hard surface stuff.

Thoughts?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I still mainly use C4D for modeling, which is largely polygonal.

ZBrush is crazy powerful and fluid in modeling and sculpting organic and hard geometry, but still, I feel their GUI could be more intuitive. Not a horrible learning curve though. Plus, GoZ's made the workflow much better.

Also, I hear good things about modeling in Modo, but I've never used it.

I find the addition of ZBrush -- though C4D's Sculpting toolset can handle 75% of any huge organic modeling I find myself dealing with -- and a few free to low-cost modeling plugins (like NitroMan's Magic Bevel) to fill most of my modeling needs right in C4D.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Trimble Sketch-Up and MoI3D. Blender is as a last resort

Old 04 April 2013   #4
zbrush hands down

Old 04 April 2013   #5
I'd say Modo, but it's getting kind of expensive just for a modeler. Really excellent though.

I have never really warmed up to C4D's modeling, but that's just me. I'd actually rather model in Maya.

Have heard good things about Silo, but am not sure of the development status.

For organic ZBrush and for nurbs you can't beat Moi3D.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
i hear from cgi-friend, that nvil from http://digitalfossils.com is futher development of silo...but macOS, seems, does not support

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thanks all. ZBrush does intrigue me and I tried to get into it a year or so ago but couldn't get my head around the interface. Can anyone recommend a decent tutorial so I can give it another go?

I hadn't considered Silo either and Modo does seems capable although a tad expensive if I'm just going to use it as a modelling tool.

I'll bear these in mind so thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
There is also Wings3D with a FREE price tag. I love that app, but haven't used it much lately.

Wings3D

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Wings3D actually looks pretty powerful! I'm impressed. Gonna download and take a look. Thanks.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
I use Cinema for poly modeling, Rhino when I need Boolean fillets, and ZBrush for sculpting.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Ah, Rhino isn't quite ready for OS X by the look of it. Shame. It looks very powerful.

Originally Posted by AdamT: I use Cinema for poly modeling, Rhino when I need Boolean fillets, and ZBrush for sculpting.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
C4D for poly modeling, MoI for CAD stuff and Zbrush/C4D for sculpts.
I also recently purchased Topogun, which rocks, but it's a very specific niche.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
I´d recommend the trio C4D + ZBrush + Topogun. They´ll cover most, if not all, modeling needs. Retopo tools of ZBrush have improved vastly, so Topogun might be dispensable. It´s a great app though. That said, I think C4D has very capable modeling tools, and I never really understood the negativity towards them?!

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Thanks Pit. I'm leaning towards giving ZBrush another go. As I said before I never quite liked the interface but that's obviously just down to me since so many users rave about it. Time to be brave and try again..... ;o)

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Neil V: Thanks Pit. I'm leaning towards giving ZBrush another go. As I said before I never quite liked the interface but that's obviously just down to me since so many users rave about it. Time to be brave and try again..... ;o)

If you go with ZBrush, consider Topogun too (as Pit stated). You'll need to re-topologize.

My only gripe with ZBrush is that I work mostly on a laptop (Macbook Pro) and in no time the fans start shrieking. Makes me tense.

Thread Closed share thread