kinect to cinema 4d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
kinect to cinema 4d

has anybody managed to get this kinect data to c4d working?

http://moullinex.tumblr.com/post/31...ina-music-video

I just seem to get a static point cloud thats not animated at all. Very new to c4d and trying to figure out how i load the python script and change to my kinect data. any help would be great!

04 April 2013
Interesting video. I'm latching on, I'd like to learn more about this too. There have been some earlier posts, you might search around as I recall some guys had made some progress with this.

06 June 2013
I've been attempting to get this to work for me, but there are a few problems:

1) The differences between Processing 1.5 (the version Moullinex used) and Processing 2.0b8 (the most current version of Processing).

2) Getting the text files to be read by the Python script in Cinema. (I downloaded Processing 1.5 so that I could get the code to work)

I'm not well-versed in Python or how to really access the scripts being used by it in Cinema. Whenever I bring up the Scripts Manager I get a blank screen. At this point all I think I need to be able to do is redirect the txt file importer to feed from my new output folder.

Any information that or discussion on this subject is greatly appreciated!!!

R Travis Pierce

06 June 2013
Yeah, I got it to work a year or so ago.

If you're using a Mac, you have to make sure the python script is reading the files in the correct directory. I remember that being a bit of s tumbling block. When it's not set to the correct directory, it makes just a single particle...

The text files that processing makes are huge.

06 June 2013
Interesting, how were the results?

06 June 2013
I've gotten it to work, but now I'm experimenting with editing the scripts (both Processing and Python in C4D) and it's causing all sorts of problems. I'm not the greatest at coding still, so it could be a relatively simple problem to fix.

Processing: Attempted to up the number of skipped pixels in order to create fewer points in C4D so that we could use up less power in the pre-render. This caused a NullPointException that I still haven't fixed.

Python: Attempted to up the Index at the end of the loop that reads the text files' lines, prompting the program to import fewer vector points. It works until you hit Render, and then it tells you "Point selection tag out of bounds". Sought help on this at the C4Dcafe forums, but to no avail.

Went through and wrote a quick Terminal script that would auto-delete every-other-line from the text file. This works, but has been deemed too tedious to be used in this workflow. Sad thing is, it might be our only choice unless I can figure out how to fix these codes.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread