Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

The GI in C4D is a little more complex to use than in LW, however it can be quite fast provided you learn how to use it and don't just leave it on it's defaults.

The resolution of your irradiance cache GI in C4D is controlled by the record density, adjust the min and max rate accordingly, a rate of 0 is a 1x1 size GI pass, a rate of -1 is a quarter size, -2 is a sixtenth i.e. it's reducing the resolution by a half in each axis for each step down, or doubling for each step up.

If you pick to autoload in your irradiance cache file then it will re-use any existing cache that you've made when nothing else has changed, if you check the lock button then it will lock the cache permanently regardless of changes, if you change the animation mode you're using then you can have it only calculate areas that have changed with for example camera animation, however if you pick a full animation mode which is only for scenes where objects and lights are moving around and thus result in changes to the overall GI solution then it must calculate a heavy prepass.

With camera animation mode you can skip frames by rendering a prepass only render and simply changing the frame rate in the projects render settings (make sure that autosave is enabled in the irradiance cache file), then return the fps settings, disable prepass only and lock the cache, and render the result.

In general your passes with irradiance cache are defined by the animation mode, the min/max rate under record density and the cache refinement options. The defaults have been set very high because in the past the settings were far lower and quicker but people complained that C4D's GI quality was poor/blotchy. As a result the current defaults are set up for creating a final quality output at "medium" settings in many situations, you can afford to bring the values way way down and reduce the number of steps between the min and max rate when doing a preview render.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Precious information Per-Anders, thanks!

Sad there's no fraction in the record density. A sixtenth is quite small. I am using preview.

I am experiencing strange artefacts. What is the culprit setting?

artefacts by Earwax69, on Flickr

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Looks like some normals shading issue, but it also looks like a problem with the cache did you lock it? Alternatively there's a problem with the least squares interpolation smoothing, you can adjust how smooth this is in the smoothing settings which should resolve it from the settings, however it's nearly impossible to say without having the scene file to check. Try flushing the cache and see if it persists, if it does then please share the file.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Well, I'll bump the specs up and reread your post when I'll be ready to render again. For now I just need a preview to show the client. I cant wait to be on my 12 cores workstation in 2 weeks to speed things up. 3x the speed will be welcome!

Thanks for the reply! Very appreciated. I seem to complain a lot but C4D is really my favorite softare now. I'm starting to get the hang of it, being very clean in my objects manager (it help!).

Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
Community Ambassador (North America)
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69
Precious information Per-Anders, thanks!

Sad there's no fraction in the record density. A sixtenth is quite small. I am using preview.

I am experiencing strange artefacts. What is the culprit setting?

artefacts by Earwax69, on Flickr

I would say this is because you are using a (full animation) mode.
I avoid these like the plague.
You are safe to bump up your sampling and tweak your record settings to reduce flicker rather than use the (full animation) modes.

Set the GI mode to "still image"
Then set you sample mode to "custom sample count"
and set the sample count to "512" (if there is flickering increase this number, sometimes it can go into the 5000+ range, but rarely)
click render.
My laptop rendered the entire sequence out in 02:37 (mm:ss)

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Chi, you are a genius! thanks for that. It work very well. I am very glad I posted this thread as this little trick will help me in a lot in the future!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
noseman
3D nosey

Athanasios Pozantzis
3D Generalist - Certified C4D Trainer
Noseman productions
Toronto, Canada

Per beat me to it.

Another way I tested is with pure QMC. It's slower (15 minutes for all frames), but very precise.
I also did a render with Physical renderer, Motion Blur and indirect illumination and the whole thing rendered in just over an hour on my 12 Core Mac, but it looked very good.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

useful thread this..thanks for all the advice peoples..v useful little tips in here as always.

Henry Moore

Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread