C4D GI... wtf?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
C4D GI... wtf?!

I am a bit surprised to see the GI rendering in C4D so slow and so lacking in features. I got a scene with 11 polygons. 11 freaking polygons. A sky and a floor object. 350fr, 960x540. The prepass is going fast at like 1sec per frames. However there's 13 passes to do. 350x13=more than an hour!

And I'll say it again... there's only 11 polygons to render!

To speed up things I've prerendered the GI cache at a smaller size and set the steps at 5. Good! it took 10min. However when I opened the render in AE, I coudl see the steps..! No interpolation!

Im really glad with the nice features in C4D but if you cannot output it in time, well, it kind of defeat the purpose.

Edit; I've given up the physical renderer. Now it's somewhat faster but still, something like 20min for 11 polys... mmm...

Please someone explain me that steps method if there's no interpolation.

Last edited by earwax69 : 03 March 2013 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
polygoncount is the most unimportant vallue in such a case. 11 polygons or 100000 polygons wont make a big difference for Gi. there are other parameters to check. but i am not a render guy. maybe you better attach a samplefile.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Naaaan, I think I'm just expecting too much. Recently coming from Lightwave, I though everything would be better in C4D. I now have to admit LW renderer is really neat.

In standard mode, the render time is manageable. Not super good but manageable. However it miss the faculty to reduce the GI calculation size without saving a cache first and reload it.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Hi,
a screen shot or a sample file would really help. It is hard to tell without detailed information

cheers

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Can you give a little more detail about your scene? Are you using camera animation mode? Full animation? Have you tried reducing the GI quality settings? How about calculating every Nth frame for the cache?

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Sounds like you have a bunch of other stuff going on. Could you share your file?

Old 03 March 2013   #7
I am not trying to troubleshoot a scene, I'm just talking in general about C4D render speed with GI + animation.

That 13 preprocess thing is really strange for me.

Also I would like to know how to get interpolated steps in the caching process.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
earwax69

I switched to C4D from LW/Core and was struck by how slow the GI was but I found spending time with the GI settings I could optimise them such that they were comparable to LW speeds and in quality too. That was a long time ago and I've no experience with current LW to know if it is quicker.

The speed of GI in C4D is why there is a good market for VRay. It'll pay for itself if you do a lot of GI animation rendering.

Have you investigated doing your animation work in C4D and rendering in LW? Using plugins like Nitrobake to bake stuff and Riptide Pro to generate MDD files.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Actually, I'm 99% sure it's your settings that are too high.
If AR has 1 MAJOR flaw, it's the very high defaults.
Please give us the courtesy of a sample file, so that we can help you and teach you.
Complains like these just put people off.
I will be very happy to optimise the GI settings as best as I can and explain why I did what.
If it's a rare case that can't be optimised, then at least you will get to know it for the future.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
people want a scene file so they can prove you wrong. (or right)
and without a file its a one sided conversation because each scene has its reasons for making the render times long or fast.
there could be something simple in your scene that is making the render times long.
so post the scene file or this thread is useless without all the infomation

Old 03 March 2013   #11
If no scene file, then what are the 11 polygons or 11 poly object doing? I'll just add sky and floor as you describe and render it over 350s. So, no HDRI, textures, materials, noting else right?

Old 03 March 2013   #12
If you are using the physical renderer, try clicking 'indirect illumination', as I believe that is the switch for GI in the physical renderer. If you have an HDRI image as a sky, I believe it will light your scene with that image. (I use GSG LightKitPro, so I forget the regular setup for sky reflection) Disable regular GI in the render settings, though.

I hope this helps!

-Ryan

Old 03 March 2013   #13
@gdogfunk: you might be on something. I used the standard GI with physical. I'll test this today.

Noseman, ok I'll upload the scene and would be glad to see how you would tweak the GI settings. But like I said, now the render time is manageable with the standard renderer and no motion blur. It's not 1hour of render anymore but more 15-20min.

Here the scene:
http://we.tl/EacMXixJje

Old 03 March 2013   #14
@AntimatterVFX:

What make the GI in LW nice to use for me is that the cache work very nicely. And sometimes, depending on animation, the cache even speed up the renders by not computing the areas already present in the previous frames. You can also set the simulation size (half, quarter...) and reduce the framerate and interpolate the result (smooth steps).

This is very handy for renders where you only need the feeling of GI but not the precision. Combined with the DoF Node from Denis Pontonnier, you can render very realistic HD frames in less than a minute each, flickers free.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
I also notice that C4D only use 60% of my CPU but I guess it's the normal behavior of C4D...

Edit; yes it's higher now, depending on the passes. Some GI calculations must be single threaded. That's alright.

Last edited by earwax69 : 03 March 2013 at 01:34 AM.

Thread Closed share thread