CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
shoqman
Frequenter

Virtual Set Ad done w/ C4D

Hey guys,
Here is a Zantrex 3 fully virtual set commercial I did with Cinema. It was a really quick project, rendered with Physical renderer in record time partially thanks to the new Radiosity Maps in R14. They sped things up significantly. This was all built from scratch, using tons of sub poly displacement and radiosity.

The ground haze and some light shaping were done in post with the World Position Passes that R14 can render now. They are absurdly useful for changing things post render without having to render again. Amazing stuff.

Sorry the link is not great quality, it's the only one I can find online right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1CkZOyHdY

Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Great work!

Could you elaborate any more on how you used the position pass in post? What software did you use to comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoqman
The ground haze and some light shaping were done in post with the World Position Passes that R14 can render now. They are absurdly useful for changing things post render without having to render again. Amazing stuff.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
shoqman
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardseed
Great work!

Could you elaborate any more on how you used the position pass in post? What software did you use to comp?

Thanks!

I used Eyeon Fusion (which I can't say enough good about, BTW- fast, flexible node based compositing that is usually a few steps ahead of Nuke feature-wise and significantly cheaper) and Fusion's Volume Mask and Volume Fog tools.

Imagine a World Point Pass as a Z-Depth for X, Y and Z axes, each one in the R, G and B channels respectively. Combine them and it makes a specific, exact color for every pixel location in a render.

Using them you can pinpoint any location in a render to color correct just that specific area, or do any other operation you can imagine with the power of isolating any area of a render. Because it's a world position pass, the values won't change when the camera does- they are locked to their position, so masks you create move perfectly with the camera.

So for this spot, I made a nice feathered Volume Mask for the very tops of the ceiling, then darkened just that area to further shape the light. I fixed problem areas that were too bright or too dark etc.

They are tough to explain but crazy powerful once you get it.

The volume fog uses the same idea to literally create volumetric fog or haze in post. The camera can move through it and it behaves as it should but is totally adjustable in post.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Can you use the Position pass to create a depth of field effect?

The standard depth matte technique has always been very limiting for me, especially when you want to blur out a foreground object. I;ve been trying to figure out a way to use some of the AE point pass plug-ins to do generate this sort of Depth of field, but no luck so far.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
tkane18
Tom Kane

LOL...I watched it 3 times before I realized that I initially viewed it for your virtual set.

The foreground was very "distracting"!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
shoqman
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier

The standard depth matte technique has always been very limiting for me, especially when you want to blur out a foreground object. I;ve been trying to figure out a way to use some of the AE point pass plug-ins to do generate this sort of Depth of field, but no luck so far.

No unfortunately it gives you the same effect. Have you tried Frischluft Lenscare? It does a WAY better job than anything else I've ever used of the post DOF stuff.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
swire
Veteran
portfolio
Sam
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier

Have you seen/used this in AE composition?
http://www.thepixellab.net/c4dae-tu...amera-lens-blur

Product: http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

I've looked at and explored Lenscare, which works well for a very gradual and subtle depth of field effect, but if you need to create a strong DOF effect that creates a significant blur on the foreground or create a strong DOF effect on a complex object or particle field, the standard lenscare/depth matte workflow just doesn't cut it, and you have to render out several passes for each shot.

My hope is that we will eventually be able to render out a position pass with a small amount of deep data behind it that would allow the user to create a full DOF effect in post.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread