Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Cloning onto Objects within Xrefs

Hello all,

First off: I'm using R13 - so I'm not sure if R14 solves this, or even if there's a button in R13 that fixes it.

I've attached a zip file which contains two tiny scene files - one labelled "Xref" the other labelled "master scene".

If you open up the "Xref" scene, you'll see some red cubes cloned on to some TP. There's a Mograph Cache tag that's operating well, so when you scrub the timeline back and forth the clones move accordingly.

If you open up the master scene, you'll see that it is just the 'Xref' scene imported as an Xref. However, the cached clones are nowhere to be found. If I click on the cloner, I find that the "Object" parameter underneath the "Object" tab is both completely empty and greyed out.

So my questions are the following:
1. Why is the 'Object' field empty within the xref? Even if I cloned the cubes onto a plane object instead of TP, the field would remain empty upon importing it as an xref.
2. What do I do to "un-grey" the field so that it can be filled?
3. Once that has occurred, how do I fill the field with the TP group from the xref scene so that the cubes can appear in the master scene?

Thanks,
Luke
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xref - Clones - TP.zip (151.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 03-29-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
douwe
Know-it-All

portfolio
douwe
Brussels, Belgium

EDIT :
I just posted a workaround with a UserData Linkfield to pass the PGroup into the Object Field of the Cloner.
Works fine,
but Adam's solution (check the next post.) is a lot easier.

d

Last edited by douwe : 03-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Not sure if this applies in R13, but in R14 you can go into the Xref options, modify tab, and check the "parameters" box. Then you can relink your cloner to the TP particles.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Both ideas work perfectly in the small scene; thank you!

Now it's just a matter of extrapolating this technique into a much larger scene with 50K clones. Right now I'm trying to Xref the cached clones into my master file; reloading the 3 gig Xref scene after even a tiny change takes a long time; and the "preparing" stage of the render takes even longer - six and a half minutes! (I think the mograph cache and the Xref bridge are the key instigators with that).

An interesting twist in this is that it doesn't seem as if particle groups are imported with Xrefs. So if I make a Particle group called "Apples" inside my Xref scene, that particle group will not appear in my master scene upon importing it, so in order for me to clone onto any particles, I have to use the "All" group, which could mess thins up if I had a larger TP setup in which groups were more important.

The next challenge will be finding out if Nitrobake can handle 50K clones, and if a baked result will reduce the Prepare time.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
Now it's just a matter of extrapolating this technique into a much larger scene with 50K clones. Right now I'm trying to Xref the cached clones into my master file; reloading the 3 gig Xref scene after even a tiny change takes a long time; and the "preparing" stage of the render takes even longer - six and a half minutes! (I think the mograph cache and the Xref bridge are the key instigators with that).

Any ideas on how to reduce this preparing stage time? Some frames even take 9-13 minutes to prepare (plus more time to render)which kinda sucks if you've got 500+ frames. I've disabled all my dynamics tags and turned off all necessary effectors.

I've tried three different baking solutions (Nitrobake, plaMATE, and xREC) - it seems the combination of 50K medium-res objects with a dynamics tag cloned onto TP has either too many idiosyncrasies or is just too large of a scale for these to work effectively enough to be a proper solution.

The scene file is rather massive, so I cannot easily provide that; I recognize that this means it'll be difficult to offer help, so I'm not expecting a miracle. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if there were any solutions that others found that might offer help.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread