Splines Undulating With Fractal Movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Splines Undulating With Fractal Movie

Hi all,

I've got a spline and plane within the same hierarchy as a displacer deformer. The displacer deformer has an imported fractal movie in its shader channel to give the other objects in the hierarchy an undulating deformation. This works fine on the plane but the spline moves as one object ignoring all of its control points that should bend it in the same manner as the plane. The strange thing is that the deformer functions properly on both the plane and the spline when I use C4Ds built in noise shader on the displacer, but this doesn't give me the control over the fractal that I can get by importing it from after effects...

I've attached the file if anybody feels like sparing the time to have a look... if the displacer shader doesn't automatically link to the fractal movie, the fractal movie is included in the tex folder.

Thanks for reading and any feedback is greatly appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: zip tex.zip (222.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: zip ImportingFractalToDisplacer_Tests.c4d.zip (134.5 KB, 4 views)

03 March 2013
there are no uv or polygon data on the spline which could tell the displacer how to map
the texture. the reason why the noise shader is working is that it is one of the few
shaders which does work without any mapping information. set the noise shader mapping
space to uv2D and you will see it will stop working too.

03 March 2013
Thanks very much both of you, your feedback has been very informative. JeremyW I've recreated the steps that you took and I can't work out where you got the coordinates for the displacer shader.. looks like some kind of witchcraft

03 March 2013
oh wait it makes more sense when I switch on texture axis mode. I'm going to forget how to open file next... thanks so much for your help! That should be the last great hurdle in getting this thing done

03 March 2013
Glad the file helped. What I did was apply the material tag to the deformer (although it could have been applied to any object such as a null), then used Tags - Fit To Region to define the projection and position of the texture map.

03 March 2013
I see, well thanks again, you've saved a few headaches

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread