using two graphics cards

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
using two graphics cards

Hi, i have a question, i have seen users that use two graphics cards with C4D (no sli).
I was thinking doing the same thing but i must ask.
When using two cards in a setup that uses one for horsepower one for gui, example would be Tfd,
is the wievport speed in C4D going to benefit from the horsepower card or is it limited to the gui
card?
Thinking if it was possible to use Titan card and a small Quadro, Quadro for gui to get a 10 bit
signal out to my Eizo coloredge monitor.

Geforce drivers and Quadro drivers seems to work together.
My hardware is based around the 2011 socket.
I also use adobe production suite.

Kind regards.
Mats Lindgren

03 March 2013
As far as I know, the viewport speed of C4D is tied to a single card only.

Adding a second card would not increase the viewport speed of C4D in most cases. But in an application like TFD having a second card as a compute-only card frees the GUI card to keep updating the viewport preview while a simulation is processing on the compute-only card. So in this case you could say that viewport speed does benefit from having a second card.

In discussing the matter of mixing quadro and geforce drivers with a C4D developer with extensive knowledge of GPU-accelerated applications, he mentioned that mixing divers could lead to instabilities.

03 March 2013
I find it pretty rare now that the graphics card is the real culprit for viewport performance. more often than not is is still CPU, especially for anything animation related. C4D's scene calculation is mostly single threaded, animation, expressions, deformers generators, all on one single core. What is ironic about this is that when the multicore systems started to come out and efficiency and hyperthreading became the focus, people got used to simply buying four core systems with slow single core performance, which honestly in rendering is not much of a big deal as most of the renderer is multithreaded and gets better with each release like R14's caustics performance.

The viewport sadly still needs that single core performance and having a fast single core speed is what will improve viewport performance. Any newer age graphics card should handle typical scenes just fine, they are rarely going to be the bottle neck.

03 March 2013
Thanks for the answers, so then viewport performance will always be limeted to the gui card
even if not running sims with Tfd.

Kind regards
Mats Lindgren.

03 March 2013
Yes, as far as I understand it, a second card that is not running a simulation cannot be used to improve viewport performance.

To expand on what LucentDreams mentioned, even a new Quadro K5000 with a Cinebench OpenGL score of 85+fps will be at the mercy of a slow CPU.

03 March 2013
best gaming card you can get and a good cpu you can overclock is the best your going to get viewport wise.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread