Dialogue animation piece

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Dialogue animation piece

A dialogue piece I animated while studying with iAnimate. The voice is Tom Baker, (Dr Who on the BBC back in the late 70s) in an interview.
Character rigs were supplied by iAnimate, animation was done in Maya 2013.5, rendering in Cinema 4D R14 and the resulting passes (GI, AO, rim lights etc) were composited in After Effects Cs5. All my work there .

Hope you enjoy it! I'm still working on my second shot now which will be quite different to this one as the character is a lot more aggressive

https://vimeo.com/62453965
Please watch in HD if possible!

A little breakdown of the rendering passes I created for the composite (all rendered in Cinema apart from the 'fake normal' one which I did in Maya).
http://www.graphite9.com/iA/dennisRenderBreakdown.png

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Howdy,

Nice work!

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Thanks Dan!

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2013   #4
cool work Brian .
you

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Nice work!
The only thing I would comment about is that it could use some snappier, more inflated "smacks" of the lips. Feels a bit soft on the P's and all the "pop" sounds.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Nice one. The separation of colors between lower and upper lip was a bit distracting. Loved the breathing bit after "twilight of my life" Not just the chest movement, but the eyes at that moment was funny as hell. I mean the few frames he was looking further to his left, and he seemed slightly worried about getting oxygen or something

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Many thanks guys!

Good note on the sync fluffouille, that's something I still find tricky to judge sometimes, when to get the right punch to 'p's and 'b's without making it look too poppy.

Originally Posted by FantaBurky: Loved the breathing bit after "twilight of my life" ...............he seemed slightly worried about getting oxygen or something

Awesome that you picked up on that, many thanks! Our teacher really encouraged us to think about the subtext of the dialogue and what the character might be thinking as well as just the literal meaning of the words. For that part I imagined him thinking 'oh crap, I'm old!' which was why I put that worried expression in there. Delighted someone caught that.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2013   #8
He he Well it worked. Made me think he was real, for sure.

Maybe it's not the "look" you're going for, but I think it would look even better if you added motion blur to it (Reelsmart Motionblur plugin for after effects is great for that, if rendertime is an issue).

Old 03 March 2013   #9
hehe, nice piece of work

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Many thanks guys!

Good idea about RSMB, I have that here but didn't try it yet on this shot, I'll try it out.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Well, I've finished the 2nd shot now and it's all rendered out. I used Mental Ray this time for some practice with it, but the set was modeled in Cinema and the globe sequence was animated and rendered in C4D too.
Had a lot of fun working on this one, and feel I learned a lot during the process. The dialogue is Fox news pundit Bill O Reilly having a very bad day.
Hope you enjoy it!

https://vimeo.com/65017332

Starting iAnimate workshop 5 in a week, really looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 04 April 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
really nice Brian !

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Hah, very nice Brian, where was the "**** IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!" part?

cheers
brasc

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Many thanks guys! Appreciate you checking it out.

Originally Posted by brasco: where was the "**** IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!" part?

Heh heh, yeah I would have loved to have done that part too but we are strongly discouraged to animate anything with swearing at iAnimate as you never know what potential employer might take offense to it.
My mentor encouraged me to try and humanize the character as much as possible too, to make him more relate-able so I tried to make him a little more Stephen Colbert, a little less Bill O Reilly . I shot a bunch of video reference of me acting the part out which was quite fun too.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Really great stuff here.. Good work.

Thread Closed share thread