Octane for C4D is released!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #31
Thanks Sirio. The page has been bookmarked. Very useful indeed and thanks for clarifying a few things for me.

Originally Posted by sirio: Here is some test, they are not about octane but they'll give you a raw idea of the difference between the cards, for comparison your 5770 is slower than the 5780 listed in the test:
http://www.barefeats.com/gpu7950c.html
Be aware that beside the new native mac cards like the 680 or the 7950, some pc card will work just fine, some other will need some slight adaptation of the firmware/driver in order to work on a mac. There is plenty of information on macrumors forum.

Old 04 April 2013   #32
After having sat through the 27 minute demo of Octane I have to say I'm seriously impressed.

Old 04 April 2013   #33
For Octane (compute intensive), the Nvidia Titan has proved to be the hands down winner in terms of price-performance on Windows. I'm just hoping it will be compatible on the Mac.

Old 04 April 2013   #34
It's still an expensive card though.

Originally Posted by mustardseed: For Octane (compute intensive), the Nvidia Titan has proved to be the hands down winner in terms of price-performance on Windows. I'm just hoping it will be compatible on the Mac.

Old 04 April 2013   #35
Originally Posted by mustardseed: For Octane (compute intensive), the Nvidia Titan has proved to be the hands down winner in terms of price-performance on Windows. I'm just hoping it will be compatible on the Mac.

It is:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565650

Old 04 April 2013   #36
Watch these vids by Natalie Eagan for an idea of C4d-Octane integration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUR_EWM8xwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6fNqghPfI

Old 04 April 2013   #37
For GPU rendering a used GTX580, the 3GB model, is pretty awesome. It's more powerful than the 680 for rendering and has 3GB memory, which is very important with GPU rendering.

Old 04 April 2013   #38

Most people I've read about who are testing Octane are complaining that the Titan is ridiculously expensive for the 20% performance gain over the 680, instead they're building PCs that can house 2x680s for the same price to get better bang for buck.

As far as I know Titan drivers are not in the 10.8.3 driver package so that's PC only for now. I did see that 10.8.4 seeds were asking to test graphics drivers but probably is bug fixing rather than new drivers. Netkas is a great place to find out what's coming as they pull apart the developer seeds for any hint of new drivers and hardware coming down the line.

(Their forum appears to be down at the mo.)

Old 04 April 2013   #39

It's hands down performance winner, but not price-performance (yet) and this is from a Titan owner, it's twice the performance of my 580 in general more than twice the price. The value for me comes from less slots occupied allows me to expand with a few more later down the line.

Don't get me wrong it still rocks

Originally Posted by AntimatterVFX: Most people I've read about who are testing Octane are complaining that the Titan is ridiculously expensive for the 20% performance gain over the 680, instead they're building PCs that can house 2x680s for the same price to get better bang for buck.

Do you have a link to those tests? This goes against everything I've read and tested. It's generally 100-150% faster than the 680 which is terrible for compute.

cheers
brasc

Old 04 April 2013   #40
Less slots, less power, that's pretty much how I perceive the 'price' part of the ratio.

Originally Posted by brasco: The value for me comes from less slots occupied allows me to expand with a few more later down the line.

Old 04 April 2013   #41
According to comments made at the Octane forums and these benchmark results, the Titan is almost twice as fast as a GTX680.

Old 04 April 2013   #42
Just played around with the demo, even seems to be quick on my single GTX 560 (2gb).
Impressive... i especially like their daylight system.

Seems pretty cheap as well compared to other renderers out there.

Old 04 April 2013   #43
It is, for a render engine it's practically an impulse buy. If you can imagine the standalone version was actually much cheaper if you purchased it during the beta phase. The expense comes when you decide you can't live without a Titan farm.

Old 04 April 2013   #44
update

Hi,
nice to see lot of interest. Soon will come new update with more features and stability.
Also samples and tutorials.
Octane is suitable with lot of projects. Especially needs for realistic renderings. And offers very quick previewing and final renderings.

Old 04 April 2013   #45
Anyone know how this works with multiple cards? I have a GTX580 3GB. If I get another will Octane use both gpu's? What about mixing a GTX580 and a Titan?

Thread Closed share thread