Octane for C4D is released!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by ThePriest: How is the Titan compared to your 580?
Even with 6gb, it's still very limited in what it can handle.

It varies but ~100% faster in Octane, in TFD ~50% to 100% faster. C4D viewport speed is identical +/- 1fps, I think that's due to the broken Titan OpenGL drivers, but I also imagine it's Nvidia protecting the Quadros. I'm intending to fill the PCI-E slots so I chose the Titan, if I wasn't going to I'd go with a couple 590s.

cheers
brasc

Old 03 March 2013   #17
It's either a couple of titans, or filling up 6/7 PCI-e slots with a bunch of used GTX 580's.
The gamers are all parting ways with theirs in favor of 680's and selling around the $300 mark.

Trying to figure out which is the more worthwhile investment. Probably the more modern tech, but not until those drivers are reported as working and stable.

Last edited by ThePriest : 03 March 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Trying to figure out which is the more worthwhile investment. Probably the more modern tech, but not until those drivers are reported as working and stable.

The 1.11 version of Octane is significantly faster for Kepler based cards, but the 680 has been totally borked in terms of compute, so I doubt the software can salvage that much.

One thing I love about the Titan is it's near silent most of the time, my old 580 classy was so loud.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
love it so far

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Still waiting for Mac version. A few more weeks to go...

Old 04 April 2013   #21
are there any workflow videos to show the cinema4d plugin....maybe some renderings any1 might share with infos. i think about switching from vray to octane when the integration is good. is htere any estimate date for the c4d plugin demo?

Old 04 April 2013   #22
What reasons do you have for wanting to switch from VRay to Octane?

Originally Posted by MAN0: are there any workflow videos to show the cinema4d plugin....maybe some renderings any1 might share with infos. i think about switching from vray to octane when the integration is good. is htere any estimate date for the c4d plugin demo?

Old 04 April 2013   #23
The only reason I can see going with Octane over V-Ray is the incredible speed difference, but the built-in version of Octane still has some problems to work through as it's still a working beta. I would guess that by the time Octane is stable enough for most people to trust it in production V-Ray RT will be ready for release. I like V-Ray better, but playing with Octane is lots of fun because it's so unbelievably quick on my laptop.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
neil, ofc its all about speed....i have to finsih job with shortest deadline and speed is money

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. I'm always curious though to get a bit of background to other user's decisions as they can help shape my own. I'm not even sure of Octane is viable for me purely because us Mac users have such terrible graphics card options.

Originally Posted by MAN0: neil, ofc its all about speed....i have to finsih job with shortest deadline and speed is money

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Neil V: Mac users have such terrible graphics card options.

Not anymore almost all the latest PC card are running on mac:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Old 04 April 2013   #27
OK. So on my Mac I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card. What sort of card would I need to get the best out of Octane?

Originally Posted by sirio: Not anymore almost all the latest PC card are running on mac:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Neil V: OK. So on my Mac I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card. What sort of card would I need to get the best out of Octane?

The nVidia 680 is your best bet.

There is a Mac version about to be released which will mean you'll get a boot screen and all the display ports will work as expected.

If you buy a PC card there will be no boot sequence visible but the card will work fine once the OS has booted. If you get a copy that is close to the reference as possible you'll get a better chance of all your video outputs working.

Check out netkas.com forums for the latest state of the union and which cards offer best compatibility.

You'll need 10.8.3 plus unless you can get the 10.7.5 drivers from someone.

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Neil V: OK. So on my Mac I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card. What sort of card would I need to get the best out of Octane?

Here is some test, they are not about octane but they'll give you a raw idea of the difference between the cards, for comparison your 5770 is slower than the 5780 listed in the test:
http://www.barefeats.com/gpu7950c.html
Be aware that beside the new native mac cards like the 680 or the 7950, some pc card will work just fine, some other will need some slight adaptation of the firmware/driver in order to work on a mac. There is plenty of information on macrumors forum.

Old 04 April 2013   #30
Thank you.That is great advice.

Originally Posted by AntimatterVFX: The nVidia 680 is your best bet.

There is a Mac version about to be released which will mean you'll get a boot screen and all the display ports will work as expected.

If you buy a PC card there will be no boot sequence visible but the card will work fine once the OS has booted. If you get a copy that is close to the reference as possible you'll get a better chance of all your video outputs working.

Check out netkas.com forums for the latest state of the union and which cards offer best compatibility.

You'll need 10.8.3 plus unless you can get the 10.7.5 drivers from someone.

Thread Closed share thread