Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
Camera has lost it's mind?

Right, not the first time this has happened to me, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is going on with this.

Essentially I have a camera moving down into a room, from frame 66 through the end of the animation, all the frames render black, as if the camera has gone behind something. But, here's the rub... there is NOTHING anywhere near the camera to be causing this... it is absolutely blowing my mind.

I have attached 2 screen shots showing the rendered camera view and the the position of the camera in the scene.

****EDIT*** since it is impossible to get my first screen shot to anything less than 99KB, and the size limit is 97KB (really?) then I can only upload the second one which shows the black frame, but you will just have to take my word for it that every preceding frame renders fine****EDIT****

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks in advance,
- Will
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

perhaps the front clipping is accidentally animated?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
demafleez
Frequenter

fleezinator
USA

not having seen your scene file, I can only speculate. do you have any other camera in the scene? did you accidently keyframe a stage object? Are your lights keyframed, either in brightness or in color? do the frames in question render in the viewport/IPR?

demafleez.com | twitter

Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
perhaps the front clipping is accidentally animated?

No, just double checked, near clipping is enabled and at 0cm, far is not enabled (essentially, default settings), and there are no keyframes present.

Thanks for the response though
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by demafleez
not having seen your scene file, I can only speculate. do you have any other camera in the scene? did you accidently keyframe a stage object? Are your lights keyframed, either in brightness or in color? do the frames in question render in the viewport/IPR?

No other cameras, no stage object, no animated lights. The black frames appear in both the editor and net renders, though the viewport has no issues while working in the scene. The only way I have been able to solve it has been to make a duplicate of the room, delete everything but the wall behind the camera, and add a composting tag to the new object to not be seen by the camera.

Thus, I am able to determine that it is that back wall that is the issue, though I still don't know why as the camera is not even remotely close to it.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
E2GO
PRO
portfolio
Egor Gostyshev
CG Artist
Vladivostok, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to E2GO
I have this issue couple times. My problem was - because of foreground objects in the scene with missing textures on'em or textures without alpha channel.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

perhaps try giving it a small front clipping to eliminate that back wall. wouldn't make sense, but maybe it would work.

Out of curiosity does the back wall have transparency, or perhaps a window that is transparent? Does the material have absorption in it maybe?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
perhaps try giving it a small front clipping to eliminate that back wall. wouldn't make sense, but maybe it would work.

Out of curiosity does the back wall have transparency, or perhaps a window that is transparent? Does the material have absorption in it maybe?

No, no transparency or absorption, just a fairly standard drywall shader.

What is interesting is that i had used PLA on the room to expand the outer edges of the wall at one point. I realized that I hadn't disabled the Y axis when I did my scale, so when rendered, the result wasn't great. I evened out the y points, re-added the outer face of the back wall, and aligned my polygon normals, and the issue with the camera went away.

Even more strange, is I also ended up changing the camera animation too (it really isn't possible to get the camera moving / rotating on multiple axis smoothly without nesting it in nulls). The new animation brings the camera much, much closer to the walls, without the issue appearing.

Truly a mystery, and not the first time a camera in the middle of a room has been blocked by some sort of phantom.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

Wow the camera looks so small compared to the room, way off the scale. Do you have any falloffs in your lights, or, if you have Physical sky check its settings? Do you use the right render engine? If using Physical, check that camera settings are within range, as there might not be nothing blocking the room..

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
fluffouille
Booh

Sιbastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

Yeah, your scales seem way off. Not sure what you are measuring with the HUD on the right, but it's already at a distance of a 100m. Scale might be why there are issues (not that it should be happening, though, I'd still classify that as a bug).

If you can get the scene displaying the problem to maxon, maybe it can be fixed and/or explained.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread