Modeling Tut anyone? Shoe?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Modeling Tut anyone? Shoe?

Hi All,

Been years since I have been on this forum! Use twitter mostly these days. Great resource.

Anyhow, I finished this project a while back: http://www.sketchbookinc.com/Lebron-X

Scroll DOWN to see a video of the shoe's wireframe. Or go HERE

I have some downtime, and was thinking about doing a video tut. Although I can model really anything, shoes I think are a good mix of hard and organic surfaces, so I might as well do something shoe related I suppose.

Anyone have any thoughts for something I could show in like 20-30 minutes?

Thanks!

Joe

03 March 2013
very impressive modelling, I am very confident at modelling myselfe, but that grid at the bottom of the shoe and how you managed the strings was most intriguing for me.

anyway you've chosen a confusing topic a lot of people wont watch your post hence they think you are searching for a shoe modelling tutorial.

kind regards mogh

03 March 2013
Hey Joe,

Impressive modelling skills, where can a mere mortal learn to model like that?

Lee

03 March 2013
Very impressive work Joe - a shoe tutorial video sounds good to me!

03 March 2013
it would be great to get some insight on how you work, it's amazing

I'd also agree with mogh that the title of your topic was a bit confusing - I saw it and thought "Joe Myers is looking for a shoe modeling tutorial? now way!"

Approx how many hours are in the model?

03 March 2013
saw this at vimeo few weeks ago. cool stuff!

03 March 2013
Ah piss. Yeah confusing heading sorry all. Tried to edit but unable to.

Sounds like from twitter a lot of people also mentioned the sole being something they would like to see some tutorials on. Nothing too involved - as you would have a gun to your head after watching me work for 2 hours. Crazy tedious.

Couple options:

1. Setting up reference planes and how to "start" the shoe
2. Going through how the shoe is modeled, as in what part is first, etc.
3. How to model so much detail along a curved surface (mainly tread related)
4. Multi-levels of tread and how to go about that
5. working from a scan vs working from photos
6. How to split a complex shoe model up between more than 1 person.
7. when how to UV map the darn thing
8. WHEN and HOW and IF you should model only half the shoe and then mirror, etc

mogh, you mentioned strings. Are you referring to the tiny strings in the midsole of the shoe, or are you talking about the cords which connect up with the lace loops? The tiny strings are
hardly a modeling topic at all. Lots of cylinders, and a mograph cloner object. The larger cords are just simple sweet nurbs.

Joe

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by mikeh64: it would be great to get some insight on how you work, it's amazing

I'd also agree with mogh that the title of your topic was a bit confusing - I saw it and thought "Joe Myers is looking for a shoe modeling tutorial? now way!"

Approx how many hours are in the model?

I'm embarrassed to even say. Needless to say you could never make a living from modeling shoes. I only do a few a year luckily.

Each shoe is a learning experience. As in you get 75% in and realize you started the whole thing the wrong way. treads especially. So much complexity. Really is SUPER important to plan ahead for how things will be built. That's like 70% of modeling anyway. I'm sure there are some tool techniques that would be helpful for people, but i think much of it is big picture. How to get from point A to B.

Also - sadly I am a perfectionist in the worst way - so often I go into WAY too much detail on these shoes. I often look at the finished tread and it's so dense (pre smoothing), that I imagine you could animate the shoe with no HN at all! But you never know what someone is going to animate, or how close a camera is going to get...

03 March 2013
would sculpting simplify the sole workflow?

Add me to the list of people who will buy a tutorial on modeling that shoe.

03 March 2013
@Venkman

I am decent with Zbrush - but I don't use it much at all for show modeling. Mainly as the models are modeled for animation. Topology and lower density meshes are important.

It's just too precise of a thing for sculpting IMHO.

That said both Nike and Adidas have asked if I was interested in doing Zbrush training in relation to shoes

In regards to c4d's sculpting - in case you are wondering I don't use it.

03 March 2013
The idea of modeling something like that shoe scares me so much. I would love to see the tutorial as well.

03 March 2013
The thought of doing any kind of modeling generally scares me.

That shoe is a work of art. The level of detail is insane! +1 for the tutorial please.

03 March 2013
Without a doubt I would love to see a tutorial series on this shoe, the modelling is crazy and absolutely flawless IMO although you'd no doubt disagree, i love to see high detailed models like this and best of all in quads, modelled so beautifully.

I really would love to see a tutorial, i'd love to be able to create similar visualizations.

03 March 2013
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I will try and put together some tuts!

Thread Closed share thread