Question about animation priorities

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Question about animation priorities

Hi

I have some joints driven by other joints with the use of an Xpresso setup. These driven joints, in turn, drive some userdata sliders. The problem that I am having, is that the slider animation seems to lag behind the animation of the first driver joints by 1 frame. This leads me to believe that the expressions for the userdata sliders are evaluated first and therefor, only get updated at the beginning of every subsequent frame. If my assumption is true, the priority of my setup needs some attention.

To keep things nice and tidy, the Xpresso tags aren't in the joint hierarchy but are tags of the null with the userdata sliders. I've been through the help files but I find the explination of the priorities a little foreign. The order of the priorities in relation to the sequence in which they get evaluated doesn't seem to want to come together in my mind. The dropdown with Expressions, Animation etc. options makes my grasping of this matter even more slippery.

Can someone please explain to me the sequence in which the dropdown's options are evaluated and, as far as the priority number is concerned, does -499 get evaluated first or 499?

Thanx

Old 03 March 2013   #2
It's really a priority system of about 5000

-499-499 Initial = 1-999
-499-499 Animation = 1000-1998
-499-499 Expression = 1999-2997
-499-499 Dynamics = 2998-3996
-499-499 Generators = 3997-4995

Not sure if it is really programmed that way or actually is 0-5000 but then there are a few values you can't enter, unless they allow -0 as a different number than 0 perhaps, never tried that, honestly that level of detail shouldn't really be needed.

Then, wiithin any expressions that are set to the exact same value (expression 0 being the most common of course.) the expressions are then calculated by order in the OM which is simply calculated by top to bottom in the hierarchy, and for each item in the hierarchy it's tags are calculated left to right.

have all your joint expressions in a left of your user data tags and it should work, or to make things easier, leave the joint tags at expression 0 and your user data tags at expression 10

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Thank you so much Kai. It definitly makes more sense to me now. I'll tinker around with the tags' positions and priorities and see if I can fix the problem. If the problem persists, the cause for it would obviously lie somewhere else but, in that case, I'll probably will let it slide because the lag effect isn't very obvious.

Quote: Not sure if it is really programmed that way or actually is 0-5000 but then there are a few values you can't enter, unless they allow -0 as a different number than 0 perhaps, never tried that, honestly that level of detail shouldn't really be needed.
I think if one were to get to a point where one needs more than 5000 priority settings, those priorities would be the very least of one's problems

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread