Free PoseLibrary Plugin with C++ source code

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
I agree with Kai.

Beyond that, thanks Scott for sharing the code and bettering the community with your contribution. One of these days I'll have to learn C++ probably and this will be one of the examples I use. So thanks.

03 March 2013
Hi Scott, i got the new v1.1 and it now does poses with joint rotations. but, maybe i am doing something wrong, it appears to only store poses for just one joint at a time. i am trying to pose the left and right wings on a cartoon bird character. is there way to do this so it does a master pose of the bird where both wings are closed and then they are open?

03 March 2013
Unfortunately. It's not currently set up to handle multiple objects like that.
You can record the pose of each joint individually. But that's probably not what you're wanting.
I never animate multiple joints on an individual basis like that. I always have some kind of control object that moves a bunch of joints connected through IK. That's the kind of posing I typically use.
So that's the way I set up the plugin to work.

Most of my time spent on this has been in getting the basic framework to work. This is a brand new technique that I'm sort of inventing by the seat of my pants. And I'm still trying to get all the kinks worked out of it.
So I haven't really thought that much about the options yet.

-ScottA

P.S.-
Years ago I invented a trick for posing things using the weight tag. That might be an option worth looking into.
You simply:
- Create a null and put an empty weight tag on it.
- Put the null at the top of the OM (this is important)
- Pose your joints how you like them then drag and drop the joints into the joints list of the weight tag
- Click the "Set Bind Pose" button on the weight tag (this saves the joints positions and rotations)

Any time you want the joints to assume that pose. Just click the "Reset Bind Pose" button in the weight tag.
You can create as many weight tags (poses) as you like.
I've used that little trick for years.

Last edited by Scott Ayers : 03 March 2013 at 11:53 PM.

03 March 2013
Small update: version 1.2.
Found and fixed some memory leaks.

The plugin framework should be pretty solid now.

-ScottA

03 March 2013
I'm happy to announce that I have been able to port this plugin to python called "PyPoseLibrary".
Although it does not have the tree gui like the C++ version. Because python doesn't support it yet.
So you will use it a little bit differently. By adding the tag yourself and seeing it on the objects in the OM.

Please be sure to read the help that's included in the plugin. It explains why this plugin is so unique. And I why I think it's a pretty big deal in C4D plugin development.
Average users might not understand why this plugin is so special. But developers should get it when they see what the thing does. And read the code.

Link to the plugin:
https://sites.google.com/site/scottayersmedia/plugins

Note:
The C++ version does work. But still has some memory related bugs in it that I'm still trying to fix.
There's an awful lot of image creation, swapping, and destruction going on in these plugins. And all of that memory has to be handled and freed manually in C++. Which is proving to be very difficult for me to get working correctly.

-ScottA

Last edited by Scott Ayers : 03 March 2013 at 12:26 AM.

03 March 2013
thank you Scott . ( didn't had time to test it yet but I'll do ! )

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread