Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

Free PoseLibrary Plugin with source code

Hi gang,

I'm rather excited about a plugin I've created. Because it's not like anything I've seen anyone do before in C4D plugins.
It uses what I call a "Smart Dialog System with Local Storage".
The user can stay right in the dialog and use the Tree GUI. Or select items in the scene view. And the Dialog is smart enough to change it's GUI. Depending on what object is selected. And if it has a special storage tag on it.
Plus all of the data is stored locally in the scene file, in tags.
No messy external files and folders to deal with. I absolutely love this way of working.

I developed it in C++ mainly because the Tree GUI is not available for Python users yet. So the plugin is only PC compatible. Sorry mac people.
But as always. I've included the C++ source code with it. That's really the most important thing I wanted to share with you guys.
That way you guys can learn from the code. And change it as you like.Or make your own plugin based on the plugin framework I've setup for you.

The plugin can be downloaded from my plugins page:https://sites.google.com/site/scottayersmedia/plugins

Here's a quick video using it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wq22fMK3EU

-ScottA

Last edited by Scott Ayers : 03-24-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

hm,

not sure if others feel the same way, but i could actually need an explanation what
it does, as i have currently no clue, even after watching the video. i guess it is some
kind of morph state tag ?

happy rendering, littledevil

Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

It creates and stores poses (Position & Rotation UserData).
There's also a help menu in the plugin you can look at.

-ScottA

Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

scott, thanx for this plugin. i can't figure it our after spending time with it. I can't get it to add more then one pose.

edit, i got it to do a simple cube with object move, rotate, but when i go back to my character scene, it does not seem to work with rotating the jaw bone, head bone, etc . looking at the top part in the hierarchy i see they are not in the list.

Edit, i can't figure out how how to remove since my rig seems to be not working. everything snaps back to zero t pose. i don't see any tags in the object manager for it and i tried the right click remove an remove all and nothing happens.

Last edited by oliveoyle : 03-11-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

sure are demanding for a free tool. He offered a video and there's a bit of help built in, should be more than enough for something you got for free. Thorough documentation is time consuming and so is support, those are usually what lead a plugin to cost money more than the development of the plugin itself. You guys should be a little more appreciative when someone offers such tools for free, especially with source code to modify and change or learn from.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

Sorry about the problem with the joints. That's a bug.
I didn't really test it with plain joints. Just objects and joints that use a control object to move them.
I'll look into fixing that.

The tag is hidden on purpose so the user can't see it. And accidentally mess around with it.
The tag is automatically created when the first pose is attempted on an object. And automatically deleted when all the poses are deleted from an object.
But I just noticed the tag icon is showing up in the list of tag options. And that can probably be confusing. So I'll look into removing from the list of tags.

To use the plugin:
-You select an object (in the Tree GUI, or in the Scene view, or in the OM).
-Then press the Add Pose button to save a pose
-If the object has never been posed before it won't have a hidden PL tag on it. The Add Pose button will automatically create the hidden PL tag and a little pose man icon will show up in the Tree GUI. Letting you see which objects have a PL tag on them. That's where you'll see the tag icon.
Not in the OM.

-If you delete the last pose on an object (so that there are no poses at all). The hidden PL tag automatically gets deleted from the object. And the little icon in the TreeGUI will disappear.

I had no idea it would be so confusing to use. To me it's rather obvious. But that's probably because I created it.
This is a slightly different way of working than what you normally get from C4D plugins.
This plugin is designed for the user to stay in the dialog most of the time and not need to venture into the OM and select things as much as other plugins.
The dialog is smart enough (or supposed to be when the bugs are fixed) so you only need to go into the OM if want to delete the object itself.

I'll take a look at the joints bug tomorrow. After I get some sleep.

-ScottA

Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
sure are demanding for a free tool. He offered a video and there's a bit of help built in, should be more than enough for something you got for free. Thorough documentation is time consuming and so is support, those are usually what lead a plugin to cost money more than the development of the plugin itself. You guys should be a little more appreciative when someone offers such tools for free, especially with source code to modify and change or learn from.
I am only trying to help Scott like I always have done in the past.

Last edited by oliveoyle : 03-11-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

Scott,

thanks for getting back tonight and also your hard work making it free to the community. I am very interested in something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers
Sorry about the problem with the joints. That's a bug.
I didn't really test it with plain joints. Just objects and joints that use a control object to move them.
I'll look into fixing that.

The tag is hidden on purpose so the user can't see it. And accidentally mess around with it.
The tag is automatically created when the first pose is attempted on an object. And automatically deleted when all the poses are deleted from an object.
But I just noticed the tag icon is showing up in the list of tag options. And that can probably be confusing. So I'll look into removing from the list of tags.

To use the plugin:
-You select an object (in the Tree GUI, or in the Scene view, or in the OM).
-Then press the Add Pose button to save a pose
-If the object has never been posed before it won't have a hidden PL tag on it. The Add Pose button will automatically create the hidden PL tag and a little pose man icon will show up in the Tree GUI. Letting you see which objects have a PL tag on them. That's where you'll see the tag icon.
Not in the OM.

-If you delete the last pose on an object (so that there are no poses at all). The hidden PL tag automatically gets deleted from the object. And the little icon in the TreeGUI will disappear.

I had no idea it would be so confusing to use. To me it's rather obvious. But that's probably because I created it.
This is a slightly different way of working than what you normally get from C4D plugins.
This plugin is designed for the user to stay in the dialog most of the time and not need to venture into the OM and select things as much as other plugins.
The dialog is smart enough (or supposed to be when the bugs are fixed) so you only need to go into the OM if want to delete the object itself.

I'll take a look at the joints bug tomorrow. After I get some sleep.

-ScottA

Last edited by oliveoyle : 03-11-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyle
Really Kai? LOL I we all know its free and you have confirmed it by saying so many times. I have know scott for many years on the forums and talked privately before. I only suggested he add audio. next time i will def check with u before i say anything online cus i don't want u to be upset over conversations between two other people. I def addressed my post to scott, not you. you replied before scott even got back to me. take easy Kai and see how a thread plays out first.

Yes really, its great that you know Scott so well, perhaps you should address him with these sort of suggestions directly then. Your not the only poster and the other poster had similar issue complaining about documentation. It's great if scott doesn't mind either, that's might kind of him. Having been a person whose shared many free things in the past, and with all the problems we've seen recently with professional plugin developers getting no one to support or pay, and other people offering free things and getting the why no documentation or why hasn't this been updated for version x type responses I think we should encourage people to show some appreciation.

Scott may not mind, but the next developer to share something free, who you or someone whose seen posts like this to, may not appreciate it and stop sharing their stuff for free.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
Yes really, its great that you know Scott so well, perhaps you should address him with these sort of suggestions directly then. Your not the only poster and the other poster had similar issue complaining about documentation. It's great if scott doesn't mind either, that's might kind of him. Having been a person whose shared many free things in the past, and with all the problems we've seen recently with professional plugin developers getting no one to support or pay, and other people offering free things and getting the why no documentation or why hasn't this been updated for version x type responses I think we should encourage people to show some appreciation.

Scott may not mind, but the next developer to share something free, who you or someone whose seen posts like this to, may not appreciate it and stop sharing their stuff for free.
anything is possible

Last edited by oliveoyle : 03-11-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
kiteman
IbanezLover

portfolio
clément Vaucelle
Riganimationging
www.wipix.fr
Rennes, France

Send a message via MSN to kiteman
thank you Scott for sharing
I'll try it !

Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
leed
Know-it-All

Lee David
buzzbox
cardiff, United Kingdom

Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

@Leed,
Yes. I've seen nitropose. But what I'm doing is something a bit different.
He stores his images using cameras. And what I'm doing is using the built-in plugin structure of the tag plugins to save the data locally in the scene file using hidden tags.
I only chose to store poses(UserData) because that was the most obvious way to use it. But it can be used for other things.
I'm using a tag as a database like storage container that the dialog plugins can use to control what happens in them on a per object basis. Something I haven't seen anyone exploit yet.

@oliveoyle,
No worries.
My primary focus is sharing code to help other struggling developers. But I do want the examples I post to work properly. I want to know if something isn't working (you did find a bug). Or doesn't make sense.

-ScottA

Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Ryonosuke11
Beware.... I LivE...

portfolio
M dot Strange
San Jose, Ca, USA

Thank you for creating and sharing this Scott!
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

Version 1.1 is now up.
I think I've fixed the joints bug. Try it out and let me know.
*Reminder: The pose images are created by rendering the scene. And joints do not render unless the polygon, or box option, is enabled for them.

I've also changed the way it works when the Add Pose button is used on an object for the very first time.
There seemed to be some confusion about clicking the button once to add the tag. Then clicking again to create poses. So I changed the code so that first click to create a tag is no longer necessary.
Hopefully that will be a bit less confusing.

NOTE: This plugin is not production tested. And I have no beta testers.
It's really just a proof of concept. And a code sharing exercise.
So please use this with caution as if it were beta version software guys.

-ScottA

Thread Closed share thread