joints driving other joints

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
joints driving other joints

I tried to do a search for this but I wasn't even sure what to call it to search for it.

Years ago, before joints I believe, there was an option in the bone parameters to drive the rotation of child bones. So if you have a bone chain for a finger to curl, all you had to do was rotate the base bone/joint and each bone down the chain would rotate the same amount creating a curling effect. I've been digging through tags and joint parameter and not finding something that does this. Is there something simple I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks!
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 03 March 2013   #2
It was simple but ineffective as rarely do you want each to rotate the same amount. IF you wanted to modify it you couldn't really.

Now you have a few options. Constraints take a while to setup but can do it quite well and offer simple strength sliders in each constraint to modify how much the previous joint affects them.

Xpresso, can be easy to setup with just doing a line of set drivers and set drivens allowing for individually remapping control, or if you do want the old behavior you could set the first joint as driver select all the other joints and set driven. Still pretty flexible to modify after setup.

You can add a morph tag rotate them into position and then use the morph slider to go back and fourth. Easy to setup easy to customize and modify this is generally my preference.

Finally, with R13 you can turn on per object manipulation and select all the joints and rotate them all individually

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Xpresso, can be easy to setup with just doing a line of set drivers and set drivens allowing for individually remapping control, or if you do want the old behavior you could set the first joint as driver select all the other joints and set driven. Still pretty flexible to modify after setup.

This is how I usually go about something like that. Just add an Xpresso tag to a null, drag in the first joint in the chain, set its output to whichever axis of local rotation, then, pull all the child joints in and set the same axis on the input, and link the out to all the ins. Done!

You can also use a range mapper in between your links to dampen or amplify the effect, having it falloff or curl slower/faster down the chain if a 1:1 rotation isn't doin' it for ya.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
That's what I was afraid of . Don't have time to dig through expresso atm. This goes on my list of stuff to learn when I have time. Basically when I'm dead

Thanks guys!

T
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Howdy,

If you rig with CD IK Tools, the CD Finger tag has an option to "Combine Bend and Curl" so that you can use a single slider to control both at the same time. It will also recognize the "Range" limits and stop the rotation of each finger joint so that the finger doesn't intersect the hand when fully curled.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Cactus Dan: Howdy,

If you rig with CD IK Tools, the CD Finger tag has an option to "Combine Bend and Curl" so that you can use a single slider to control both at the same time. It will also recognize the "Range" limits and stop the rotation of each finger joint so that the finger doesn't intersect the hand when fully curled.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

Awesome, thanks Dan! So glad to see you back

T
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread