Cinema 4d w/ Radeon Graphics Card Crash

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Cinema 4d w/ Radeon Graphics Card Crash

I recently got a new computer with an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard and an AMD RADEON 7900 graphics card. I installed Cinema 4d R14, everything works fine, but when I render, about half way done, it crashes, saying : application error, your files will be saved in _bugreport etc...

Within Cinema 4d; OpenGL is on, linear workflow on.
Catalyst drivers for my gfx card are installed and updated. My motherboard drivers are updated as well. I even installed Cinema 4d R13 but I get the same crash half way in the render of the frame.

I did some tests and it seems to only happen when Ambient Occlusion is activated, although I can not be 100% sure (but it never crashed without AO).

I'm also running Windows 7. This may be the problem because Windows 8 was previously installed before, and Cinema 4d worked perfectly fine on W8.

Any help on how to resolve this problem is appreciated, thank you!

A complete list of my computer's specs (if it can help); http://mathieu.legault.me/resources...HIEU-I7-PC.html

EDIT : C4D only crashes if AO and GI are activated at the same time for the render. They can be activated individually and it works fine, just not both of them at the same time. Perhaps it's a memory problem ?

Bugreport:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5643241/_BugReport.txt

Last edited by maty241 : 03 March 2013 at 07:52 PM.

03 March 2013
Under preferences, go to open GL & turn off 'use open gl'. Then test again. If it still crashes, then your problem has nothing to do with the graphics card (which is not used for rendering but only for the viewports). Then turn it back on again.
You could try to uninstall then re-install Cinema 4D itself in case that solves the problem.
Cinema 4D works fine on Windows 7 & 8, so that can't be the problem.

03 March 2013
I doubt it's a graphics driver crash.
I wasn't able to identify any crash reports from you. Make sure you let CINEMA 4D send the automatic report. If you provide a valid e-mail with the adress you will often get a response from Maxon if there is anything you can do about the problem.
Of course make sure to have the latest updates installed before reporting.
Cheers
Björn

03 March 2013
I was having problems with a new Amd gfx card, C4d and Win 7 until I found a solution online- might want to try this-

Go into the Windows folder on your C drive- find the file "atiogl" and open it with a text editor- find the Cinebench profile and delete it. Hope it helps.
M dot Strange dot CoM

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by maty241: I recently got a new computer with an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard and an AMD RADEON 7900 graphics card. I installed Cinema 4d R14, everything works fine, but when I render, about half way done, it crashes, saying : application error, your files will be saved in _bugreport etc...

Within Cinema 4d; OpenGL is on, linear workflow on.
Catalyst drivers for my gfx card are installed and updated. My motherboard drivers are updated as well. I even installed Cinema 4d R13 but I get the same crash half way in the render of the frame.

I did some tests and it seems to only happen when Ambient Occlusion is activated, although I can not be 100% sure (but it never crashed without AO).

I'm also running Windows 7. This may be the problem because Windows 8 was previously installed before, and Cinema 4d worked perfectly fine on W8.

Any help on how to resolve this problem is appreciated, thank you!

A complete list of my computer's specs (if it can help); http://mathieu.legault.me/resources...HIEU-I7-PC.html

EDIT : C4D only crashes if AO and GI are activated at the same time for the render. They can be activated individually and it works fine, just not both of them at the same time. Perhaps it's a memory problem ?

Bugreport:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5643241/_BugReport.txt

The bugreport contains the reason for the crash which is an "ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION" exception. These usually happen if the machine doesn't work reliable. E.g.:
- if you're using an overclocked machine which is pushed over the limit
- memory is faulty

Best regards,

wbj

03 March 2013
From your symptoms Its almost certainly nothing to do with your gfx card, the gfx card sits there doing mostly nothing whilst rendering. The fact you say it only happens mid-render, when heavy slow features are used really suggests your machine is overheating.

run realtemp and tell us how hot the cpu cores get
http://www.techpowerup.com/download..._Temp_3.70.html

03 March 2013
Thanks for all the help guys !

Cinema 4d crashes when the temperature gets to about 80°C on all 4 cores.

According to RealTemp's Sensor test, the max temperature is around 80-82°C on all four cores so I guess Cinema 4d reaches the temperature limit, which makes it crash.

I did not overclock my computer, but I did boost the settings in the BIOS to performance mode, I don't know if it matters.

Thanks

Last edited by maty241 : 03 March 2013 at 03:38 PM.

03 March 2013
80c wont crash your machine or any software, though with performance mode, this sounds like the motherboard is doing automatic overclocking, try turning it off and trying again.

03 March 2013
imashination, I changed the mode to balanced, did a couple of renders with scenes that would usually crash, and yes it did work! So I think, as you said, performance mode was the problem.

Perhaps my computer is not properly cooled down to be able to run in performance mode, or it's simply using too much. Although I have a cooler master tower, so I don't know what more I would need, maybe water cooling.

Anyways, it seems to work fine now, thank you so much everyone!

03 March 2013
It wont be the cooling of the cpu, your cpu is ok up to 90c and will still be stable to 100c where it will begin slowing itself down.

If you want to keep the overclock then my first suggestion would be to slow down the ram. When overclocking, notching down the ram from, say 1600MHz down to 1300, it really wont affect the render speed but can help very much with keeping it stable.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread