Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Caroline-BL
portfolio
Caroline BL
Sweden

Render manager (C4D + Mac)

Hi,

I work at a company that (at least for now) mainly use Cinema 4D + VRay and the Adobe suite. We use Mac and we have a renderBOXX with 2 nodes. In other words a cross-platform.

We now consider a separate render manager, primarily because we think CINEMA 4D's Net Render is a bit too basic, but also to have the opportunity to use the render manager for other applications aswell, like After Effects, and 3dsmax sometimes.

Me and a colleague are looking around at different options, and we thought Deadline and Qube seems to be two of the best options (but of course, those two aren't the only ones out there...)

I've looked a bit on Deadline, but it seems tricky to install on Mac, if even possible on Mountain Lion? It needs something called X11, which is not included in Mac anymore, and I found something called XQuartz, but it doesn't seem to work, and it all turned into rocket science...

One thing that seems to be general for Cinema 4D is that you have to buy a Command Line renderer license which must be installed on a license server... and we haven't got any of that yet.

Would be very grateful if there is anyone out there with a similar setup (Mac + Cinema 4D), with a render manager, that wants to share some thoughts?

Best regards,
Caroline

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

The license server as well as the command line render license shouldn't be expensive, i don't think they have much of an influence on your budget.
The license server comes in handy if you already have multiple CINEMA 4D seats, with it you can easily install it on more systems than you have licenses for and are flexible in which system you use at any time.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

No personal experience, but was recently working with a studio who was using Deadline to render my shots. They bought the command line renderer and all worked fine--however they were running windows.

I have recently installed X-Quartz on my mac for use with other x-11 dependent apps and all worked fine. Was your problem installing X-Quartz or getting Deadline to run after installed? Just curious.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
bonsak
Frequenter

Hi
Deadline 6 (now in beta) doesnt need x11 on the mac anymore. Its not very hard too install either and runs fine on Mountain lion. One installer for the clients and one for the repository. To set up the Deadline licenseserver you need to use the terminal but its all in the manual so it shouldnt be a problem. Plus they have excellent support on their user forum.

Cheers
Bonsak

Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
dmeyer
raaaaaerrrrrrrrr!

designer
de-zy-nur
USA

We run cross platform Cinema with Qube. Works great.

Only issue is the C4D license server that requires a user log on to run, which I actually thought was a joke at first.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread