AoB - Real Curvature Shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Klingberg: Great shader!

It even works well enough for cad objects with awful topo. There are some artifacts at large scales, but I haven't played with the options yet, so perhaps you could filter them out.

It's really nice if you use it as a mask for specular reflections, if you don't want huge highlights.

One thing: Somehow, we get objects in different scales, so the scale parameters are 0.1 0.1 0.1 for example, and the shader is influenced by this. Could you put a "use global scale" checkbox there?

Cheers

Yes, the scale does influence the calculation, as the curvature is based on the "actual distances" of the objects points in the editor. But I can add this option for the next update. For now, as long as the objects are not scaled asymmetric, you can just set a Scale Factor of 10 for that specific object...

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 03 March 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I animated an earlier scene - https://vimeo.com/61485611

Nice! Did you apply any smoothing?

Old 03 March 2013   #33
This is an awesome shader André. My buddy Navarro brought me here. Fantastic work.

Can I throw in my vote for a mac version?

It's one of my hugest pet peeves with c4d - non-elegant line shaders (sketch is way too slow and jumpy in animation, cell has no options). Yours is gorgeously done - almost like a painting, which is perfect since that's what I try to go for with line work.

Anyway - super nice work! Hope you find some mac-love-time soon!

// jayse

Old 03 March 2013   #34
I just uploaded two more screencasts. They show again, how the Data Modes affect the curvature definition and I use some Wind to create a dirty Ixus Camera. The second screencast shows additionally the use of the Distortion Shader Slot.

Cheers,
André

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Hi Maxxx,

I just add my mac vote here so you can count me in the pre-buyers !

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Originally Posted by maxx981: Yes, the scale does influence the calculation, as the curvature is based on the "actual distances" of the objects points in the editor. But I can add this option for the next update. For now, as long as the objects are not scaled asymmetric, you can just set a Scale Factor of 10 for that specific object...

Cheers,
André

+1

i would really appreciate that additional option

Old 05 May 2013   #37
Demo Movie

Hy there,

I have a new Demo-Movie to demonstrate the power of the Real Curvature Shader:
Take me there!

From the page:
In the following demo movie I show some more objects rendered only by the Real Curvature Shader. The objects are shown both as wire as also with a curvature definition. The objects do not have UV mapping applied (they have no other Tag than the RCS). The result you see is only created by one or more Real Curvature Shaders (besides some glowy post-effects) and of course a shader for the wires of the objects.

Attached are some excerpts from the Demo-Movie and some additional shots from the scorpion. Check out my page for more images...

Cheers,
André

... images will follow ...

Old 05 May 2013   #38
So, here we go with the first ones...

Old 05 May 2013   #39
... and some more...

Last edited by maxx981 : 05 May 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #40
... got even more...

Old 05 May 2013   #41
...and the last ones... btw., I have to write something, otherwise the post does not get through

Old 05 May 2013   #42
Wow! Those are super sexxay!

Mac version PLEEEEEEZ!!

Old 05 May 2013   #43
Fantastic examples!

Old 05 May 2013   #44
Woow !! what a fantastic original unique look ! Very impressed by
this shader and your work. Top Notch !

Old 05 May 2013   #45
Very nice indeed! Mac version request here too

reply share thread