AoB - Real Curvature Shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2013
I would do a poll for Mac users, maybe get pre-orders like Paul did with his advanced topology shader.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by maxx981: Here I already mentioned the difference:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...41&postcount=34
In the meantime, quite some new features got added to the RCS. As it was a full rebuild, it is a new product. But for buyers of the SCS, as you can read in the above post, the RCS is quite a lot cheaper, see on the homepage.

The tools are absolutely independent. So SCS does not need RCS and the other way around...

Fair enough! I will be placing my order shortly

I read the post you made in the other thread. You mentioned SCS is superior in performance for certain things? So, it's probably better to have both plugins installed, right?

OT: Any release date set for Atlasing Tool? It looks really useful

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by FantaBurky: Fair enough! I will be placing my order shortly

I read the post you made in the other thread. You mentioned SCS is superior in performance for certain things? So, it's probably better to have both plugins installed, right?

Well, my latest tests showed, that they are now equal in speed. If you just use passes in the RCS for smoothing (compared to the radius), it will stay very fast. But you can also choose the more expensive methods by using the radius and increase the quality of the solution.

Originally Posted by FantaBurky: OT: Any release date set for Atlasing Tool? It looks really useful

Actually, its finished. I will have to write a short manual for it. I hope I can do this tomorrow. So release, hopefully then

I just added a Screencast on my website, where I play a bit with IronMan
Check it out here!

The model is from www.grabcad.com, so is not especially clean geometry

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 03 March 2013 at 10:55 PM.

03 March 2013
Small test - Meant to represent a large cross section of a stormy sea, but it's not so great.
Created using variations of the 'Real Curvature shader' settings in individual alpha channels to break up the effect. Total of 4 shaders.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Small test - Meant to represent a large cross section of a stormy sea, but it's not so great.
Created using variations of the 'Real Curvature shader' settings in individual alpha channels to break up the effect. Total of 4 shaders.

Good application! Is it animated?

Cheers,
André

03 March 2013
I animated an earlier scene - https://vimeo.com/61485611

03 March 2013
Mac version pretty please (with a cherry on top)!

03 March 2013
Another mac vote here.

03 March 2013
Looks great Maxx. I hope to buy a mac version some day.
Thanks for posting those great samples Priest.

03 March 2013
OMG to the Atlasing tool but sooo need it on the Mac! please please please?
www.trickstargames.com

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Anadin: OMG to the Atlasing tool but sooo need it on the Mac! please please please?

The Atlasing Tool is written in Python, which makes it Mac-proof

Its also the weak spot, as python is not multithreaded. But non the less, the same work manually would take painfull hours if possible at all...

Btw. I found some minor problems, which I am fixing now... and writing the docs. Should be out soon.

Cheers,
André

03 March 2013
Whoo hoo, great news!
www.trickstargames.com

03 March 2013
Yeah the atlasing tool would be a wonderful addition to c4d. Multithreaded or not.

OnT: Loving the examples posted. I thought this plugin was only for aging/dust effects

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by maxx981: I had a look if it is possible to use the normal tag to enhance the curvature calculation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use the additional information to improve the calculation. For the calculation of a reflection for example, it is no problem, as this is solely based on the normal. But in the case of the curvature calculation, each triangle is analyzed and certain properties are calculated (like Voronoi Cells). So the individual triangles still contain the error.

There are more reasons, why it does not work. The curvature value at a vertex is dependent on the surrounding vertices. Imagine a sphere, which gets cut into pieces. You also have a normal tag from the tool that cut the geometry. Now you can, even though the geometry is now made of several closed volume pieces (and pretty bad normals), still render a perfect surface, as you only need the normals directly on the surface, where we know the correct values from the baked normal tag.

For the calculation of curvatures, things are more complicated. You have to estimate curvatures for each of the closed volume pieces, which means, also the new vertices inside the sphere will contribute to the calculation of values which lie on the surface, which of course is not what we want in this case.

So the best precondition for estimating curvatures is still a good mesh. This means, the surface should be connected everywhere, no doubled points and faces. The irregularity of the tessellation can be quite big and you still get a good estimation.

Cheers,
André

Schade, but still giving it a try.
just bought it.
thanks for your look into it.

cheers

03 March 2013
Great shader!

It even works well enough for cad objects with awful topo. There are some artifacts at large scales, but I haven't played with the options yet, so perhaps you could filter them out.

It's really nice if you use it as a mask for specular reflections, if you don't want huge highlights.

One thing: Somehow, we get objects in different scales, so the scale parameters are 0.1 0.1 0.1 for example, and the shader is influenced by this. Could you put a "use global scale" checkbox there?

Cheers

reply share thread