Need a simple text animation tip.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Need a simple text animation tip.

Hi, I've been searching since 1 hour on google/vimeo/youtube and still did not find the right tutorial. It seams that most motext/text animation tutorial use a simple Plain effector, changing the Position/Rotation/Scale, then play with the "strength" slider or the fall-off. It's nice but way too simple as it imply only 1 transformation. From 1 state to another.

What if I want to take the B of Barbapapa, start at 0 scale, make it pop-up, then turn around, raising in the air, and fall back with a jiggling motion, and apply this animation to all the letters with a cascading effect.

I'm sure it's simple with mograph but I cannot see somehow...

thanks

03 March 2013
Ok, I got it to work with the inheritance effector applied directly to the MoText. It didn't work before because I was not using the node mode.

Well, now it work well enough. Pretty neat.

However I would welcome any tricks to make it even more fun!

thanks

03 March 2013
Permit another addition to this very rewarding one man thread:

I tried the same method with a Mograph cloner (grid array). Super nice! But is there a way to change the clones order? Now it's from bottom left to top right. I would like to have it in a random order...

Also is the same possible with Motext? now it's from left to right with the time delay. Any way to make the delay happen on random letters first?

thanks

03 March 2013
If you use a fracture object you can change the order in which each element moves by changing the order in the list in the object manager. If it's text then you need to have each letter as a seperate item. Use your Motext object and make editable. This splits the text into individual letters that are each in an extrude object. Take these letters into the fracture object and play with the order of the text.

Hope this help.

Last edited by rsquires : 03 March 2013 at 12:50 PM.

03 March 2013
Sure it help! I just tried it and it work well. Is there's no way to make the order random with a seed value? If I got a lot of different titles, it would be helpful.

EDIT: How would you animate the opacity of the letters? Inheritance only consider about position/rotation/scale...

It might work with this method:
http://vimeo.com/19245852
Look tedious though just for an opacity fade it, fade out.

Last edited by earwax69 : 03 March 2013 at 12:06 AM.

03 March 2013
Ok, I'm rendering my first animation. Where the hell is the remaining time estimation?

Pretty happy with the results. Render is very slow though with DoF, GI and medium AA at 720x405. Rendering in HD will be quite a task.

Just a question. I noticed that the standard DoF (not physical) was kinda faked. Before the Physical render, there was no real DoF in C4D?

03 March 2013
First test!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: Ok, I'm rendering my first animation. Where the hell is the remaining time estimation?

Pretty happy with the results. Render is very slow though with DoF, GI and medium AA at 720x405. Rendering in HD will be quite a task.

Just a question. I noticed that the standard DoF (not physical) was kinda faked. Before the Physical render, there was no real DoF in C4D?

In the past I have calculated remaining time outside of the app. would be nice to have though.

Yes you are right the standard Depth is a fake and very very time consuming. Physical is very good but it's still going to take a while if you want high quality. In many cases I will composite outside of C4D if Depth effects are needed.

03 March 2013
I wonder if you can combine both the physical render DoF with low AA and a pass of Standard DoF for smooth it up. I was doing a similar technique with LW and the render time were very respectable without much sacrifice on the quality.

I always had trouble with edges when doing DoF in post-prod.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: I wonder if you can combine both the physical render DoF with low AA and a pass of Standard DoF for smooth it up. I was doing a similar technique with LW and the render time were very respectable without much sacrifice on the quality.

I always had trouble with edges when doing DoF in post-prod.

Honestly you should get the Zblur2 or Zdepth plugin(I know it exists but not seeing it on his site?) from Biomekk to create a depth map and get the Frischluft Lenscare plugin for After Effects and try doing your DOF there. Just as a backup if nothing else. It renders nearly real time and you have incredible control over the amount of blur and where your exactly your image is in sharp focus. You can even animate your focal point over time. Great if you need to tweak, no rerendering.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

03 March 2013
The plain effector is simple, but when used in stacks of effectors the number of resulting permutations is ridiculous. I've used the just the plain effector for hundreds of different methods for controlling motion. Don't forget you can use 3 plain effectors for lets say affecting just individual XYZ channels, all with different falloff types, etc. MoGraph rocks!

The cool part about moGraph effectors is how dynamic it is. You could just hand key the scale up, pop, turn, etc.. exactly how you want it without moGraph. The power of moGraph however is to drive that string of characters through a zone, have them affected, and be able to tweek your master driving profile and see the effects quickly. Mocking up a system is easy, and you can check out your animations at different speeds, etc.. without much pain. Or in other words you can mess with a lot of cam-on-cam motion without pulling your hair out.

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Last edited by mayajunky : 03 March 2013 at 09:54 PM.

03 March 2013
Hey maya junky, would you care posting a scene where you use multiple plain effector to drive a a text sequence animation? (nothing fancy) I would really like to decorticate it. I start to be confortable using Mograph but I'm far from a master.

Thanks Troyan, why would you need Zblur to create a depth map? Is it not easy in C4D just by using a depth pass in th render settings?

03 March 2013
Ahh sorry bro am working, was replying while waiting on a hardware preview quick. All's I was getting at is experiment, experiment, experiment. You'd be amazed how many different effects you can pull out of the small set of effectors. I actually don't really use moGraph that much for text stuff, is all about product control here, floods, streams, sorting, gating, dividing, merging, sheering-off, nesting. All sorts of specific motion control where many objects will be conveyed in a linear fashion, then influenced by additional devices. Making moGraph a perfect fit. Just saying you can apply the same approach for creating logo animations etc. Play, play, and then play some more!

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: Thanks Troyan, why would you need Zblur to create a depth map? Is it not easy in C4D just by using a depth pass in th render settings?

What makes zBlur the superior choice is that it has a preview window allowing you to see the depth map without having to do a full render. In this way, you can dial in your DOF effect with less trial and error.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

03 March 2013
I always recommend Tim's video tutorials.
http://www.helloluxx.com/news/makin...raph-unleashed/
I bought it to help wrap my head around some of the more detailed moGraph features, but was
surprised how many simpler concepts Tim still helped me understand better, he's a good teacher!

Thread Closed share thread