openstreetmap update

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Tools4D OpenStreetMap Importer update..

I have updated the openstreetmap importer to version 1.34

Version History..
New Demo Download..
Purchase..

use the code 'twitter10' to save 10%

follow me on twitter @tools4D

thanks
Paul Everett
Tools4D

Last edited by tapaul : 02 February 2013 at 10:47 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Hey Paul,

Would it be possible to limit generated splines or polygons to say a spline?
The only way I found in open source resources seems to be osmosis.
And apparently you have enter your polygonal masks there in numbers without having a visual reference to the map. Which doesn't sound to handy.

thanks

Coen

Old 02 February 2013   #3
>Would it be possible to limit generated splines or polygons to say a spline?
yes
the plugin converts the osm data to either individual splines , retainging all the road and building names, by tag type grouping or as group and filled polygon shapes. There is also a tone of ways to filter things out.

all f this is already possible in the current version.

regards

Paul Everett
Tools4D

Old 02 February 2013   #4
This looks amazing, I have not seen this before (gotta get out more often).
Question: what file format does one export from OSM? Thank you, might be purchasing very soon.
Cheers,
D

Old 02 February 2013   #5
>Question: what file format does one export from OSM? Thank you, might be purchasing very soon.

about openstreetmap

this is generally an XMl data file with the header *.osm which contains node points and way descriptors which the plugin imports, groups ,collates with flexible filters onto standard mercator projection.

regards
Paul Everett

Old 02 February 2013   #6
very cool/interesting, thank you.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by tapaul: >Would it be possible to limit generated splines or polygons to say a spline?
yes
the plugin converts the osm data to either individual splines , retainging all the road and building names, by tag type grouping or as group and filled polygon shapes. There is also a tone of ways to filter things out.

all f this is already possible in the current version.

regards

Paul Everett
Tools4D

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in phrasing my question. I want to be able to limit the area that is being output by the parser. For instance by a circle spline. A lot of the data available generates huge files. Being able to restrict that to a certain area would come in handy an could save a lot of time. Splines aren't a problem but I tried to get the buildings of Amsterdam as a single poly object the other day and it took a couple of hours to parse. Very, very cool result I got there btw. But if I would just need a buildings for certain neighbourhood that would be a waste of time.

btw peoples, this plugin is great for generating abstract stuff not just for visualisation

Old 02 February 2013   #8
If you could post an example or two, it might start giving people more ideas how they might want to use this plugin.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Coen: btw peoples, this plugin is great for generating abstract stuff not just for visualisation

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Originally Posted by mustardseed: If you could post an example or two, it might start giving people more ideas how they might want to use this plugin.

Thanks!

Sure..

The plug generates a polygon object or splines based on a selection of objects that is provided by the osm file. Could be streets, buildings, too much to mention. I suggest looking at the movies paul has provided.

The cool thing imo is that you get these nice mapped grid like features that you can abuse with mograph, use for animated sweeps or as paths to animate stuff onto… It has that instant planned look that would be hard to get if you hard to design it yourself.

here's a barebones render of what I'm working on atm
http://keyframes.nl/cgtalk/camA_02.mp4

purchased it last week so don't have much else to show right now.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
>For instance by a circle spline. A lot of the data available generates huge files. Being able to >restrict that to a certain area would come in handy

yes, there is a thing in there already called zones wich I will activate in another update.This lets you filter out multiple areas from a lat/lon coordinate and a distance. so you add zone , define its location and set the range.its basically another filter.

Thanks for showing the clip.

cheers
Paul

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Ah, great to hear. That will be so useful

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread