Maxon homepage

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Maxon homepage

Nice move by Maxon on their homepage:

Maxon.net

Although, strictly speaking it should say "This is what your movie looks like without VFX" But the sentiment is a good one!

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Agree, nice!
Life of Pi was not great movie but nice VFX.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
I'm just seeing the standard homepage... must be a Europe thing?
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02 February 2013   #4
@gruvDOne --the first image (greencreen). Maxon is onboard with the vfx solidarity movement in response to Rhythm and Hues' demise and the Life of Pi winning an OScar for best director and cinematography.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Some background info for those who do not know

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/v...to-vfx-protest/

http://prolost.com/blog/2013/2/25/a...o-remember.html

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Must be a cache issue, for I don't see it at all.

Edit - yup, just opened in a new browser, and saw the tribute.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Surprised that a german software company would support an opposition to globalization of the industry and keeping the jobs in LA only.

I'm sure like many of the people on the forums and facebook they missed that part of VFX Solidarity's message.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Why? Maxon isn't exporting its tech department to India (not yet, at least).
I don't see anything wrong with them offering a bit of support in this case, especially since it can impact their bottom line directly.
If people and studios can't afford their software anymore, do you think these clients will be replaced by the low wages exploited mass?

We are all in the same bucket here, it's affecting the industry as a whole.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Surprised that a german software company would support an opposition to globalization of the industry and keeping the jobs in LA only.

I'm sure like many of the people on the forums and facebook they missed that part of VFX Solidarity's message.

Keeping jobs in LA is really only a tendril of the much larger issue which is these movies that make millions of dollars in profit, while the artists whose work is instrumental to achieving that success see themselves struggling and their businesses closing because they are given mere peanuts in the big picture.

Rhythm and Hues had it's corporate office in the LA area, but most of the artists worked out of their international satellite offices, from what I understand.. and all of those artists, not just R&H's LA-based staff are feeling the effect of this bankruptcy. And even though that is the headline that started the firestorm, even that is only 10 pixels of the big picture.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Surprised that a german software company would support an opposition to globalization of the industry and keeping the jobs in LA only.

From what I understand, the main thrust of the #vfxprotest is about recognition, respect and a proper understanding of the cost of making these movies, and making the rewards proportionate to the contribution, or at least enough to keep the doors open.

There's one or two people who come across as scared protectionists - that slimy post from the (California based) VES guy is pretty dire - but the main message is still valid, and it's been bubbling around for a while before this storm.

If they're really just trying to keep more work in LA, and don't think people in India/China/Canada/UK/anywhere else are as deserving or capable of doing these jobs -- then sorry boys you're on your own!

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: If they're really just trying to keep more work in LA, and don't think people in India/China/Canada/UK/anywhere else are as deserving or capable of doing these jobs -- then sorry boys you're on your own!

My understanding of the situation is that some countries outside the US don't have things like health care, overtime pay and/or offer tax breaks and subsidies which bring the cost down relative to US-based studios. It's not unlike the phenomenon that took the US from producing 80% of the world's goods in the 1940's, but saw that number drop to single digits by the 80's as manufacturing jobs moved overseas for those very same reasons, reducing the US to the consumerist society it is today.

At the end of the day, it's the same old story... those with all (or most) of the money tend to horde and amass, trying to spend as little as possible while increasing profit margins as much as they can. This is great - for them - but too often leaves those whose backs those fortunes are built upon working for peanuts until they are ground to a fine powder physically and emotionally from year upon year of thankless work.

I'm not saying that the folks who take all the upfront risk aren't entitled to profit and grow wealthy from their success, but I think there sa better solution than what is essentially a 90/10 split.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02 February 2013   #12
If you like to discuss this topic, please contribute to one of the threads in CG News and General Discussions.
It's already a bit all over the place.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
You guys should read VFX soldier and the VFX solidarity pages, have a look at the gallery and read their signs. The group has some good goals, but their main drives and a focus of a lot of the people their is a selfish one, but maybe I'm reading into things

VFX solidarity is not looking out for the whole. Yes some of their concerns affect us all and need to be addressed, but in supporting their cause you are supporting unionization, and your also pushing a California first agenda, simple as that.

And Willie, please educate me on the situation at R&H and especially the non US locations.How many days did they go without pay, starting when to when, what films were affected, what benefits if any were lost? I'd be interested to know more of what those people are going through.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: VFX solidarity is not looking out for the whole. Yes some of their concerns affect us all and need to be addressed, but in supporting their cause you are supporting unionization, and your also pushing a California first agenda, simple as that.

It is unfortunate then that these folks have taken a problem that effects everyone and micro-cosomed it. Doing so can only serve to fragment and dilute. That's a shame.

Originally Posted by LucentDreams: And Willie, please educate me on the situation at R&H and especially the non US locations.How many days did they go without pay, starting when to when, what films were affected, what benefits if any were lost? I'd be interested to know more of what those people are going through.

Well, given that you work for their Vancouver office, I'll just assume that bit as uncharacteristic and unwarranted sarcasm. However, I do have two on my team who were with R&H US until about mid last year, so I am not as ignorant about their situation as you seem to think.

All I did was say that there is a larger issue at play, that R&H's situation is only the tip of the iceberg, and that the root cause is the corporate-run profit hungry monster that is the US.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Funny how UK, Canada and New Zealand are treated like sweatshops with no health insurance and stuff like that. Good grace, please don't send me to countries with gun regulation and free hospital...

Anyway on topic : Maxon's supporting the VFX industry as a whole. I think it's fair game. Isn't Pixomondo german and also closing offices ? Plus, they clearly want to be seen as a major VFX package (which they are slowly becoming), so it makes sense to get involved.

Thread Closed share thread