create polygon tool not cooperating

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
create polygon tool not cooperating

So for some reason the "Create Polygon" tool is not cooperating...
I have a couple of triangle polygon faces I need to create / close, I have tried also the "Close Polygon Hole" tool to no avail, it won't do anything, it won't highlight the edges of the hole... With the "Create Polygon" tool I am able to click on the three points and it seems like a face is being created, but as soon as I double-click on the last point to create the face it disappears again and is not created. I've included a screenshot, the red areas are where the holes are, I colored the bottom side red which means it is showing through the holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4d_snapshot.jpg (64.1 KB, 22 views)

02 February 2013
im guessing that mesh was imported into c4d.
i would say you have overlaping polygons that are connected to the same edge.
try selecting those polys near the hole and delete them

02 February 2013
No it was not imported, I sculpted everything in c4d.
I did use a boolean to cut a star shape on the top face of the polygon object, and I used "Close polygon hole" tool to close the resulting star-shaped hole, and I think something weird happened there, because i did find a stray overlapping poly on one side of the star and I have no idea where it came from. I deleted that extra poly face, and was left with these two holes.

In the end I decided to avoid the boolean, and I just used a spline in top view as a guide for cutting the top face manually, I guess the cut would be close enough to not make much of a difference. But even when cutting manually some of the surrounding poly faces turned black (what does that mean?), so I just deleted them, and used the "create polygon" tool to close them again, and they got their normal color back again. I found that even there some strange things would come up afterwards when trying to melt some unnecessary segments, and it seems that running an "optimize" on the whole object helped fix that a bit.

I believe I have succeeded in getting the results I wanted, but I guess it's just best to avoid c4d booleans when possible. They seem to have unpredictable consequences or leave strange artifacts. I did wind up using a boolean to cut out a mograph clone matrix of semispheres though, I wouldn't know how else to do that without having to manually sew the semispheres one by one, which wouldn't be fun... I found that enabling ngons and "hiding new edges" helped keep the faces as clean as possible.

I find that MOI is much better for modeling geometric shapes, but I have not had much success in exporting from MOI and importing into Cinema 4D. MOI doesn't export all the edges which is a real bummer. I had created segments on the top polygon face to act as a guide for further modeling in Cinema 4d but for some reason they're not exported.

02 February 2013
Your problem may have to do with your approach to creating your mesh.
It would also help in knowing your intent

For instance, why would you boole out a shape only to fill it ... ?

Example:
If you boole a star out from a plane that has 1x1 subdivision
there is no problem as you have shown.
You can then go on to make it all editable and fill the poly hole.

Hope that helps

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

02 February 2013
Quote: why would you boole out a shape only to fill it

Because that shape is needed maybe?

Well I did succeed in the end in obtaining my final result, I didn't use the boolean to cut the star shape I cut it manually using a spline in top view as a guide. I guess the problem with booleans is that they seem to work pretty good on a nice clean surface (like the one in your example file), while they seem to leave strange artifacts when the surface already has some cuts in it. In one way or the other I thank everyone for their help but I did get my end result.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread