How to: knee bend/ACL?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
How to: knee bend/ACL?

I'm bidding on a job and wondering what's the simplest way to accomplish this:

http://canopusprojects.com/clips_html/clips/knee.mov

There's a little more going on there than a bend - the femur first moves and rotates, then starts to pivot more while it's moving to full bend. And those ligaments are attached to both bones. Would you build a single model, rig it, and use weighting to get those stretches? Or is there something simpler? They're looking for serious detail, so I can't fake it and have a ligament model just going into the surface of the bone model. It should look real.

I considered also just doing it simply with PLA, since really you're only building half a cycle. You can reverse it to un-bend. Is it all six of one half dozen of the other? Thanks -

02 February 2013
I did the exact same animation a few years ago. If memory serves well, I had used spline IKs for the ligaments, with Stretch, and just animated the targets to shape the ligaments along the bones.
For the bone animation, I animated it all by hand, since it needed to slide in a specific manner, changing axis and position as well.

02 February 2013
That's awesome, thanks for the notes! I'll look into your method, sounds cool.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread