Constraining an object to a rig

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  02 February 2013
The saga continues...

I got the rig working as needed via a combination of clamp and psr constraints. Or so i thought.
The rig is then dropped into a cloner. Now the object I want constrained to the surface of the rigged object no longer is locked to the surface in the correct angle, as it wwas before cloning the group. it also moves into the larger object during the animation of the joint rig.

Hierarchy is correct:

----Parent Null
--------Joint System hierarchy
--------Hypernurbs with skinned object within
--------Null with smaller constrained object within targeting poly selection on skinned/rigged object

Again tried changing the constraint priorities to generator, animation, initial, and tried negative and positive numbers.

Also considered that global PSR in the constraints might be messing things up with the clones, so switched to local. Still same results.

I get it that the constraints system is flawed, other solutions were suggested, and Im probably wasting my time, but got so close I thought I'd see if I'm missing just one little thing that could fix it (other than starting over)

Last edited by JoelDubin : 02 February 2013 at 05:25 PM.
  02 February 2013
Does this get you any closer?
Simply animating the Inheritance Effector...

I'm not getting any lag over here.

Last edited by JeremyW : 02 February 2013 at 09:05 AM.
  02 February 2013
Thanks Jeremy. I didnt think of the inheritance effector, but I have tried other methods with mograph cloners and such--and they all work very well. The hope was to avoid cloners to do the job as there are many of them and want to animate them freely. One thing that just popped into my head was using the inheritance effector in deform mode under the binding object, rather than as an effector to cloner--always forget about that option.

I guess we can add this method to my initial list of ways to constain one object to another at the top.

In the end--I figured it out with constraints. Adjusting some issues with my model, changing the hierarchy, and constraining to the joint via parent mode (As Adam and others suggested) seems to have done the trick.
  02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Society of Digital Artists

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.