Why didn't I get the memo about Vertex Normals?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Thumbs up Why didn't I get the memo about Vertex Normals?!

Been doing this for over 15 years, and just now I find out C4D can import and compute smooth shading at the vertex level, and not only the polygon face level (phong angle, in other words). Hell, I wasn't even aware of it until I was trying to butt separate pieces of a mesh together, but found it impossible to smooth the Phong angle across separated geometry. Then it was pointed out to me that the only way to solve such problems was to be able to have control over the vertex normals. And damn, I wish I'd known about this 15 years ago (and I would've, had C4D just uncovered the ability to do so!).

I suppose because this is the first game I'm working on, so shading normals becomes far more critical, but why would C4D shut its users off from this far superior way in dealing with normal smoothing (and still have all the stuff a growing CG artist needs in their diet).

Anyhow, for those of you who weren't aware (especially for low-poly game modelers but really anyone), Here's a fantastic plugin (~$60) I found called Vertex Normal Tool. It works in r12, 13 and 14, and unleashes some amazing things that can be done only with Vertex Normals (my personal favorite is using some proxy geometry to map/align the normals to)...

http://frostsoft.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cmyk : 02 February 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
I had heard about this plugin in a thread about realisitc cloud creation last year--but haven't heard much about it since. Theres discussion about the benefits of the plug for cloud generation starting on page 3 and 4 if you are interested. Some cool results. (look for Tundras posts)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...67&page=1&pp=40

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks Joel, interesting thread. I saw it mentioned that the creator of this Vertex Normal plugin had Vertex coloring in mind, but was lower on his list to implement. I'd be amazing if he could tie such a thing in.

Now that I can edit the vertex normals, I'm getting greedy!

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Scouring the thread now... Me and my slow wit only now made the connection that Tundras is creator of Vertex Normal Tool.

Back to consuming mass quantities of information...

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread