Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Viewport problem in Cinema4d R14

I've just installed R14 and upgraded to latest version 14.034. I'm experiencing terrible viewport slowdown, I read something on the internet about disabling highlighting outlines and that helped quite a bit, but absolutely not as fast as in R11.5.
I'm working on an first generation 8core macpro, ATI radeon X1900 512MB driver EFI: 01.00.202, OSX 10.7.4
Any help will be much appreciated

Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
cmyk
Wielder of Untold Evil.

portfolio
Kevin Capizzi
Self-Employed (former Creative Director)
Kevin Capizzi CGI, LLC
USA

Send a message via AIM to cmyk
A few times since r13 (and seemingly random at that) I've experienced a weird, terrible slow-down in the editor on relatively lightweight scenes, and found that for whatever reason, completely turning off all HUD elements made the editor glide again.

It sucked, because I use the HUD all the time, but maybe try turning off all HUD elements, even the defaults, like the camera projection.

Although, I don't recall experiencing this issue for a while, I can't remember if it persisted in r14.

Another problem was a temporary dual monitor set up I had. Didn't narrow that down, but it was a cheap monitor and I had to use an adapter to plug it in, so maybe the card choked on that. It was mostly unusable for anything but a few simple palettes and whatnot.

I'm on a MacPro 12-core, OSX Mountain Lion, ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Anyhow, all seems great now, hope you figure it out.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Probably the main thing is to check the enhanced opengl setting (though i'd be surprised if it worked with something as old as the x1900) From version to version, what the enhanced opengl mode does, and what the base opengl modes do, has changed quite a bit depending on what gfx card you have installed.

In older versions of c4d, regular ogl used older faster techniques such as per-poly shading and you had to enable enhanced ogl to get proper shading. With newer versions, the baseline has shifted, so now the regular ogl uses per-pixel shading and the enhanced mode gives you even more bells and whistles on top.

In short, try turning enhanced opengl on or off. Also check you havent enabled opengl shadows, noise or transparency, or AA in the main prefs.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Thank you guys, I've already tried everything and nothing worked.
I've installed also R13 to see if the problem was still there, I've found no slowdown in R13 and I've looked at program preferences.
This is what I've found, in R13 the program says that my graphic card does not support enhanced openGL, but I can leave standard openGL on without any slowdown.
In R14 the program says that my graphic card has all the extensions to run enhanced openGL but in reality everything is very slow with both standard and enhanced openGL, if I completely disable openGL I've slightly better performance but it's not good enough to work.
It seems all depends on the drivers, in R13 the program uses an ATI 2.1 driver while in R14 uses an APPLE 3.2 driver.
Now my question is, can I choose the old ATI driver in R14? And if so, how?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

You can't use an older driver, but you can force CINEMA 4D to only use an older OGL version.
You have to start CINEMA 4D with the following commandline option
-openglversion=210
This will force OGL version 2.10 to be used.
Hope this helps
Björn

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Thank you very much Björn, I think this may be a solution. Unfortunately I don't know how to start Cinema with a command line option.
So far I'm only able to start from command line:
-CINEMA 4D
-Contents
-MacOS
-CINEMA 4D

Can you explain in detail how to do it?
Thanks again

Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Sorry, OS X and commandline are not my forte.
I found this information regarding starting CINEMA 4D with a commandline option under OS X
/Applications/MAXON/CINEMA\ 4D\ R14/CINEMA\ 4D.app/Contents/MacOS/CINEMA\ 4D -openglversion=210

Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Ok, thanks anyway. Maybe somebody at Maxon can help me, witch is the fastest way to get in contact with support?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirio
Ok, thanks anyway. Maybe somebody at Maxon can help me, witch is the fastest way to get in contact with support?

The support form on the website, but this is not CINEMA 4D specific. Anyone with a bit of detailed OS X knowhow regarding the console should be able to help you.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread