Title designs for World Snowboard Championships 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Title designs for World Snowboard Championships 2012

Hi guys!

Last year I was hired to participate in creating the title designs and some of the on-screen graphics together with the in-house design team at the Norwegian Broadcasting Company (NRK). My role was to create the 3D environments, some look dev and co-direction.

All 3D elements and animation in the titles were created in C4D with sketch & toon combined with self illuminated materials to create negative space. All the cut scenes are "known" spots in Oslo, Norway - and were modeled by looking at Google Street View images and general knowledge of the city.

Since it aired the titles and graphics have won Gullruten (Norwegian Emmy), shortlisted in Eurobest, and is now a finalist in PromaxBDA Europe 2013 for best Programme Branding Design (titles + graphics package)

Some credits:

Colin McMahon (MottiMotti.com) - 3D environments, visual development
Jørn Veberg (NRK) - Compositing, graphic design, visual development
Øyvind Pettersen (NRK) - Red blob technical animation, visual development
Marius Hansen (NRK) - Sound design

Other on screeen graphics (lower thirds, wipes, bumpers, arena visuals, etc) - Not included in this thread:
Petter Rydeng Ellingsaeter (Bavian.no)
Colin McMahon (MottiMotti.com)

Cheers, Colin.

Best viewed in HD, obviously

http://vimeo.com/37240095

Last edited by Constrict : 02 February 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Beautiful. I never get tired of this look, or mining the comics archetype.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks Jerm! Really appreciate it

- Colin

Old 02 February 2013   #4
I second what jerm said. Great energy in the shots and design. Congratulations!

Old 02 February 2013   #5
The render style is very nice. Though I think the camera movements in the first "2d sheet of paper" bit are too static and apprupt. Maybe you could smooth those cameras out a bit. The second part where you are "in the action" is very good.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Hi Matthias!

The camera movements in the first part were actually an artistic choice too keep it slightly mechanical and try to catch the attention of the audience by being somewhat sterile and "calculated". However, I do agree that the visual style of the piece does lean against using more organic camera movements. I would´nt mind trying the organic approach but the project is almost a year old and has already been broadcasted so its no longer a WIP - and thus the files are archived and long gone...

Cheers!

- Colin

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Im happy to say that this work just won gold in the category for best programme branding design at the PromaxBDA Europe Awards 2013 in Paris tonight

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread