Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

Subscription tutorial site advice.

I'm an advanced C4D user that is looking for the best English speaking subscription tutorial site to subscribe to in case I need to brush up on something really quick. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Kuroyume0161
Code Ninja

portfolio
Robert Templeton
Computer Programmer
Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone
Loveland, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Kuroyume0161
As far as I know, the best Cinema 4D tutorial site by far is Cineversity. It is sponsored by Maxon and has both free and pay-for content.

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

Hmm, I wasn't really considering Cineversity because when I previewed that service a few years ago I noticed that while there was a ton of content most of it was v9 - v10 which I've never owned. Have they gotten better about making new content? Do they cover plug-ins like V-Ray or Dpit Effex?

I've looked at Digital Tutors and while I like it, the format isn't good for quickly brushing up on a certain thing.

Lynda is another option and it seems to fit the bill plus it covers ZBrush, Photoshop and After Effects which I also use.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Personally I feel that video tutorials are best suited for new users or for getting an overview of a process, or for a project-based lesson where you model/texture/animate etc something from start to finish. For quickly brushing up on something text based tuts or just reading the manual are much quicker IMO. One criticism I have of some video tutorials (and it's something I always try to keep in mind when making my own) is that they move far too slowly and take a long time to get through. That can make them a slog to get through and life is short after all

Having said that, if you prefer video tutorials I think you've already mentioned the 3 main options. Other sites like Gnomon etc don't seem to cover much C4D stuff AFAIK. For me Lynda was very useful when I was learning the fundamentals of After Effects and ZBrush when new to both of those. I found the tutorials were better than what I've seen from Digital Tutors which seem to be a bit more paint-by-numbers in their approach. In my case I didn't want to learn a particular project, I wanted a fast overview of the programs from a beginners standpoint.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02-14-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

The best site for "quickly brushing up on a certain thing" is Lynda.com. I've been a member there for over five years and find their format of small specific movies with detailed searchable transcripts great for quickly finding exactly what you are looking for.

Next on the list I would probably choose Digital Tutors as they offer more CG focused courses that are more advanced than Lynda. I've also used cmiVFX, Cineversity, and fxphd.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

I'm surprised no one has suggested C4D Cafe www.c4dcafe.com yet. Hundreds of free tutorials, many as good as any paid ones anywhere else.

3DKiwi
C4D Cafe

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

Hi Nigel,

I'm not forgetting you. I've been a member of your site since I started C4D back in v11 and greatly appreciate what you do for the C4D community. What I'm looking for is a support site that can give me 5-10 minute chunks to remind me how to do things that I haven't done in a while during a project deadline.

Speaking of C4D Cafe though, have you thought about making tutorials about V-Ray or Dpit Effex? I saw the 3-4 tutorials on RealFlow but unfortunately I don't have that plug-in.

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG
Hi Nigel,

I'm not forgetting you. I've been a member of your site since I started C4D back in v11 and greatly appreciate what you do for the C4D community. What I'm looking for is a support site that can give me 5-10 minute chunks to remind me how to do things that I haven't done in a while during a project deadline.

Speaking of C4D Cafe though, have you thought about making tutorials about V-Ray or Dpit Effex? I saw the 3-4 tutorials on RealFlow but unfortunately I don't have that plug-in.

Cool, glad you're a member. I don't have either V-Ray or Dpit so no tutorials will be coming from me on either of those 2. High end rendering I'm sorry to say has never really been an interest of mine. I much prefer modelling and animation tutorials.

Cheers
Nigel

Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Mr.Tyler Durden
Know-it-All
Tyler Durden

Quote:
I don't have that plug-in.

Realflow is not a plugin

I would suggest vimeo btw. Cmivfx also had a few c4d coverages as well as fxphd..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DKiwi
Cool, glad you're a member. I don't have either V-Ray or Dpit so no tutorials will be coming from me on either of those 2. High end rendering I'm sorry to say has never really been an interest of mine. I much prefer modelling and animation tutorials.

Cheers
Nigel

I can certainly understand. I thought it was a long shot given that neither is cheap, but I thought I would ask because it is important to know as much about both as mistakes at render time can be unforgiving.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
MAN0
Expert
manuel mark hofmann
nuremberg, Germany

cineversity is good. the subscription fee is worth it...waiting for some more tutorials since 2 month though

Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

From my experience

Lynda: lots of short specific tutorials, a lot of them are getting quite old now though, and some of the presenters... it depends if you can get through their strong accents and time wasting laughing at their own jokes.

Video tutors: great for someone that just wants to learn the app and everything in it. theyre long and detailed, but not a good choice for trying to answer a specific problem.

cineversity: last i checked, the big upfront fee was a turnoff for many, and the majority of the content is for quite old versions. That said, theres loads on there, they keep adding more and its good for finding solutions to specific problems.

c4d cafe: its free. we like free.

Other than that though, youre probably best off just googling for written answers or youtube videos. I seem to answer a lot of my AE questions with little snippets from the tubes.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
Community Ambassador (North America)
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to chi
good thing that wait ended...currently there are over 200 videos that have been going through a staggered release. This includes discussions on Integration (compositing), Cinematography, and over 30 breakdowns of individual scenes showing different ways of working with 3D objects / environments and real footage.
This will then be followed by a 5 hour course on Motion Clips and their usage withing a Motion graphics pipeline, then a series on lighting options within Cinema, and finally a series on Modelling repetitive patterns.
Make sure to check the "New Cineversity Playlists" section of the user home for the most current material.

As for the comments about older content...much of CINEMA has not changed over the years, and it is generally these videos that have not been updated...as the only real difference is icon design and color scheme. That said, cineversity is currently looking at a plan to start updating this material, but with over 1800 videos this is no small task.

I would say that one of the most valuable things about Cineversity is the help that you can get on the forum.

Cineversity is also the only site that does "reference" style tutorials (Although I think the digital tutors series on lights gets pretty close to this, I also think C4D cafe has some that also follow this style), most others stick to project based material.

I find at a certain point though the best option is google. Even if most free videos are usually just re-hashes of other videos, there is usually at least 1 explanation somewhere on the internet, be it text or video.
or....the manual. I <3 the manual. ctrl/cmd+F1 for life.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

Hi Patrick,

This new series looks very interesting. This may be worth the price of admission alone.

BTW, whatever happened to the bi-monthly Cineversity Live shows? Really used to look forward to those.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
Well, I'm obviously going to biased toward lynda.com in so much as I work for them. It's a very robust assortment of tutorials covering not just C4D, but almost any other software folks in our line of work are apt to use, and we are constantly producing new content.

I am also quite fond of Cineversity, having been a member there since it's inception. Dr Sassi's Tooltime Tips series alone is a virtual encyclopedia, with a video dedicated to every single function, object, node, et al.

While one could criticize that many of the tutorials on these sites are a little old, largely the information they present is transferable fully to newer versions of the software. There's no reason to spend time and money producing redundant content just so said content can be set in the latest release of software X. So, don't be turned off by a tutorial that was made using R10. It's quite likely that the same steps would be used to achieve the same thing in R14.

And Mash - as for the presenters having thick accents - we do have a few of those, but when we or our testers feel like the accent is an impediment, we tend to push the course into Close Captioning earlier, so that the course either releases with said captioning in place, or finds it added in short order. If you are a member, and find there is a gap somewhere in that endeavor, please drop a line to our Customer Service. We do listen to and thrive on member feedback.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Thread Closed share thread