NET render noob questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
The manual goes for the safe option here. Net Render does work with dynamic IPs, but since the clients need to have the IP entered by hand you do have to change this setting in all clients if the server gets a different dynamic IP. If you do use DHCP in your network you can prevent this situation by making the IP of the server a reserved IP that is assigned to this system only.
Also Net will work with names if you have a working DNS in your network. In this case even dynamicaly changing IPs don't pose a problem since you can easily enter the name of the serve in all clients.

Cheers
Björn

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by penboack: From the CINEMA 4D documentation, Configuring the C4DN Server.

"This computer must have a static TCP/IP address. Some computers, especially those that access the Internet through a modem, use dynamic TCP/IP allocation; in this case we recommend that you install the C4DN server on a different computer."

Yeah. Mine doesn't and it works just fine. Don't know what to tell you.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Srek: The manual goes for the safe option here. Net Render does work with dynamic IPs, but since the clients need to have the IP entered by hand you do have to change this setting in all clients if the server gets a different dynamic IP. If you do use DHCP in your network you can prevent this situation by making the IP of the server a reserved IP that is assigned to this system only.
Also Net will work with names if you have a working DNS in your network. In this case even dynamicaly changing IPs don't pose a problem since you can easily enter the name of the serve in all clients.

Cheers
Björn

That's good to know. Since my server IP rarely changes it hasn't really been an issue. Yet.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Oh man, this is driving me nuts

I installed Net server now on the mini and connect it through an ethernetcable. The iP-adress (DHCP) will not work. TCP/iP problem: Port may be in use. I tried all kind of different ports, a DHCP with manual iP etc. Nothing seems to work. Net Server on my main MacPro was no problem but refused to conncet more than one Client, but now it just won't connect to anything.
I wish there was a magic button...

Odo

EDIT:

I switched back to a fresh Net Server on my MacPro and one client on same MacPro and one Client on MacMini.
And finally after several reinstalls, restarts and port juggling I have two working clients. Now lets render!

Last edited by ooo : 03 March 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by ooo: Oh man, this is driving me nuts

I installed Net server now on the mini and connect it through an ethernetcable. The iP-adress (DHCP) will not work. TCP/iP problem: Port may be in use. I tried all kind of different ports, a DHCP with manual iP etc. Nothing seems to work. Net Server on my main MacPro was no problem but refused to conncet more than one Client, but now it just won't connect to anything.
I wish there was a magic button...

Odo

EDIT:

I switched back to a fresh Net Server on my MacPro and one client on same MacPro and one Client on MacMini.
And finally after several reinstalls, restarts and port juggling I have two working clients. Now lets render!

Congrats! It feels like voodoo sometimes, and I think it is. It's a nice feeling when you actually get it working. Problem is you're never 100% sure why . Now, if they are on a wireless network and you have connection spikes, get ready for things like random .b3d files among your renders and random client drop offs. If you get .b3d files, just delete them when the project is done. We're in a building with several other businesses all with wireless networks and they tend to interfere with each other and cause spikes. We've had to try various channels until we've gotten one that seems to be a lot more stable and we're getting less of that.
HyperactiveVR

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Similar issue. I am needing to run the Net Server on a MacBook Pro that works remotely (traveling all over the country) and TCP/IP addressing is a pain since the Net Server address is always changing. The Mac Minis that serve as the Net Clients don't move, and are connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station. Will an IP Updater Client, such as DynDNS (http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro/) work with Net Render? it basically sets up a hostname with an updating IP address.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Cheers,
Erik

Old 06 June 2013   #22
I have almost the exact same setup. DynDNS works fine for me with Net. Except my Net Server is one of the minis (which is also a client). Why would you want Net Server on your MBP though? Is there any benefit to having your render server go wherever you are? As I understand it, Net Server has to parcel out your project folder to every render client, as well as receive rendered frames from them; all this over the network. And if you're out somewhere working remotely, the back and forth would surely be slower, no? Plus, your MBP would need to be on and running Net Server uninterrupted throughout the render, so you're also losing your mobility.

Or am I totally misunderstanding what you're describing?

Originally Posted by loftricky: The Mac Minis that serve as the Net Clients don't move, and are connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station. Will an IP Updater Client, such as DynDNS (http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro/) work with Net Render? it basically sets up a hostname with an updating IP address.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Cheers,
Erik

Old 06 June 2013   #23
Thanks for the confirmation re: DynDNS, that is great news.
My reasoning was that I did not want to lose a Client, two are better than one, and that my understanding was that one computer could not run Server AND Client at the same time. If that is the case, it would make the setup up muuuuuch easier.
You bring up excellent points about the time taken to transfer back and forth. I was hoping that using a Dropbox Net Render folder linked between the three computers would help in some of that transferring. The biggest issue is having to stop (or slow) work on the MBP while it renders out frames, and that was the motivation behind setting up the two Minis.
Of course, all of this is speculation at this point since it is all still being set up and has not been tested yet.

Thanks again for your expertise, it is much appreciated!
Cheers,
Erik

Old 06 June 2013   #24
Originally Posted by loftricky: Thanks for the confirmation re: DynDNS, that is great news.
My reasoning was that I did not want to lose a Client, two are better than one, and that my understanding was that one computer could not run Server AND Client at the same time. If that is the case, it would make the setup up muuuuuch easier.

Sure you can. I have a secondary computer set up as render machine, and it runs both server and client. The server app does not need much computing capacity since it doesn't do any rendering itself, so it is safe to run in parallel with one client.

Old 06 June 2013   #25
Originally Posted by Cairyn: The server app does not need much computing capacity since it doesn't do any rendering itself, so it is safe to run in parallel with one client.

You should reduce the number of cores used by the client to make sure the server has a bit of reserve. Otherwise it can happen that you get timeouts if the server can't answer fast enough. This is mainly why Maxon recommends to not install server and client on a single mashine.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Srek: You should reduce the number of cores used by the client to make sure the server has a bit of reserve. Otherwise it can happen that you get timeouts if the server can't answer fast enough. This is mainly why Maxon recommends to not install server and client on a single mashine.

I haven't encountered the issue yet, but what exactly would happen, and when would the issue even arise?

My machine is dedicated to one server/client running on localhost, so when this client tries to send a completed frame, it has finished rendering and yields its CPU slot to the server anyway. (Unless it starts the next frame in parallel to the server interaction, but I don't think it does...)

If there is another client on a different machine, it may encounter the problem that the server is blocked by the client running on the same machine as the server, but if I read the documentation correctly, it should still continue and just render the next frame. So the client would send two images at the next try?

Under what circumstances would images actually be lost or frames duplicated (rendered twice on different clients unnecessarily)?

Anyway, if I had more than one client for rendering, I could still use an older machine as server, idling most of the time... it would use hard disk space rather than CPU power so if the response time is the critical factor, an ancient 1GHz single-core should do the trick.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
What could happen is that the server does not respond in time and a timeout occurs. In the best case this just means that you can't access the server since the client keeps the system to busy, until the client has finished. In worst case it means that new clients that were started will not be able to connect to the server and thus sit idle until the client on the server system finishes it's job.

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Where is the setting for this, is it Preferences>Renderer>Custom Number Of Threads? How many threads should I set it to on a quad i7 Mac mini that's running both Server and Client? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Srek: You should reduce the number of cores used by the client to make sure the server has a bit of reserve.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Custom Number of threads should do the trick, just leave one or two for the server.

Old 06 June 2013   #30
So a quad i7 would normally be doing 8 thread? Which means setting it at 6-7 would be fine?

Thread Closed share thread