TP: pMatterwaves and 3D shaders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
TP: pMatterwaves and 3D shaders

Would like to get pMatterwaves to work with an animated 3D linear shader. Seems that the limitation with matterwaves is it only works with UV objects and textures.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #2
I recall being pretty excited about the possibilities of PMatterWaves when it first came out... but it never really performed as expected.
Let us know if you are able to get results.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Here's how in XP http://vimeo.com/m/49297513

Cheers
Mike

Old 02 February 2013   #4
You could use a falloff node, if you are just heading for falloffs. Emit your particles from your surface, then transfer the 3d gradient shader data into a fall of node and then determine for each born particle, if it should stay alive or not.

As a side effect you won't have the particle count defined in your emitter in your scene, but just a fracture of that. You could either live with it or you would have to do the whole emission by yourself.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thanks guys--great suggestions. Will give xparticles a try. Looks like the most direct way to do the job.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
The best way in my opinion for controlling PMatterwaves generated particles are Lights,
you can have really good control over Birth, Life, Speed etc and have basically a square
or a spherical falloff.

Last edited by typografschaft : 02 February 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by slouchcorp: Here's how in XP http://vimeo.com/m/49297513

Cheers
Mike

As soon as I have an excuse to use that for a project I am buying it. Everything I see posted about Xparticles is awesome.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I've been working with it for a while now, and I'm still discovering features (like this one!) that I missed. Its a great tool! Make sure you take a look at Mike's videos on Vimeo--lots of good demonstrations as to what you can do with it.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
X-Particles looks like a great plugin. Not sure how the licensing works if you have a windows desktop and a mac notebook.

Seems to have much more flexibility in comparison to TP.

Last edited by rgwarren : 02 February 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
X-Particles looks like a great plugin. Not sure how the licensing works if you have a windows desktop and a mac notebook.

Thats not a problem, you just order for one system then ask and we will generate you a serial for the other no extra charges involved were happy for people to run it on both.

cheers
Mike

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread