CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
bonsak
Frequenter

Xpresso wishlist

Hi
After a couple of days of Xpresso'ing i realize that theres a couple of things i really miss in Xpresso:

1. Xpresso editor: An option to show input/output values on the xpresso node ports, without having to lay down result nodes all the time. Like performance view.

2. Xpresso controlled parameters in the AM: When parameters are controlled by expresso, small arrows show up to the left of the parameter in the AM. Doubble clicking on the arrow should bring you to the xpresso editor and zoom to the node in question.

3. Xpresso editor: Shortcut to search for nodes, like pressing Tab in Nuke or Houdini to lay down nodes, it would be great if the expresso editor could have similar functionality. Gets tiring navigating the submenus all the time.

Ive already sent this to Maxon as a suggestion. Just wanted to hear if anybody else is thinking along the same lines.

Cheers
Bonsak

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

@ 2:
an indication icon next to an AM manager attribute, that a parameter is xpresso driven, is a r14 feature

@ 3:

the xpresso pool has a search bar (click the magnify glas icon). it will work similar to the node search features found in houdini or xsi (the tree is being filtered based on your entered text)

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

#2 can be a bit difficult since one property in the AM can control several nodes and vice versa.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
bonsak
Frequenter

@Little_Devil
I know about the indication arrow, and i use it all the time to find the different nodes.
I use the search bar as well i just wish there was a faster way like the new Commander for instance. It could easily be made context sensitive when inside the Xpresso editor.

@Srek
Maybe double clicking could expose a list if there was more than one node attached.

Cheers
Bonsak

Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

well it depends on if 2 is intended for inputs or outputs, my reading was that he meant it should display a value being driven and thus double clicking could take you to that node because only one node can drive another. A single node can drive many values in different nodes but a driven value is a single input only last time I checked.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
well it depends on if 2 is intended for inputs or outputs, my reading was that he meant it should display a value being driven and thus double clicking could take you to that node because only one node can drive another. A single node can drive many values in different nodes but a driven value is a single input only last time I checked.

one intput port can only be driven by one output port, this is correct. but you can have
multiple object nodes of the same object in your node tree and drive the same input port
for all of them. the result will then depend on the execution order of your tree and/or the
parsing results of the rest of the tree. you could return the currently 'dominant' node then,
but diffrent results for the same action is always something bad (in terms of GUI) IMHO.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
bonsak
Frequenter

Im not so concerned about the actual GUI of the widget that could expose the node(s) on the little arrow. My main point is to have some functionality that makes it possible to jump from the parameter driven to whatever node you would select in the widget.

Cheers
Bonsak

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Devil
one intput port can only be driven by one output port, this is correct. but you can have
multiple object nodes of the same object in your node tree and drive the same input port
for all of them. the result will then depend on the execution order of your tree and/or the
parsing results of the rest of the tree. you could return the currently 'dominant' node then,
but diffrent results for the same action is always something bad (in terms of GUI) IMHO.

Correct, but you don't even need to have an order of execution based setup for this to happen, it can simply be a setup that only enables one of several object nodes under different circumstances.
In this case you could actually have multiple nodes beeing used for a single object within an iteration, so there would never be a conclusive information for the user in the AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread