Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Numerical output from Sound Effector?

I'm going a round about way towards getting a numerical value from the Mograph Sound effector. No laughing.

I used a sound effector to trigger the y coordinate movement from a single cloned object.
Then I use Per's 'clone info hierarchy' to capture that movement with a null.
I fed the null into xpresso and basically said (with a condition node) that if the null is higher than a given value, then trigger a Boolean 1 or 0 response. I could have used a range mapper for a more precise value, but basically 1 or 0 was fine.

The results drive TurbulenceFD emission parameters, triggering the fire to start when the bass drum plays. But surely there was a much easier way to get Cinema to give me some values based on the audio, which is where I need your help.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the xpresso driven sound node doesn't do much in R14. In the sense that it wasn't giving me any audible sound in playback and doesn't seem to have any useful output nodes.

Last edited by ThePriest : 01-28-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

xpresso also has a sound node, which does more or less the same as python effector.

edit : should have red more carefully, if it has to be the effector node, you could also
use the xpresso mograph sample node. you could also just put manually a soundfile
into the timeline and then use the sound node, which i would prefer.

Last edited by littledevil : 01-28-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
douwe
Know-it-All

portfolio
douwe
Brussels, Belgium

Sound Effector: Object OUT ---> Effector IN : Sample Node : Strength OUT ----> gives you a value to play with, right ?

The Sound Node needs the Play Input to be activated and checked in order to play sound.
You're better off adding the audio on an Object in the TimeLine ( Create / Add Special Tracks / Sound

d

Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

I mentioned at the end of my post, that the xpresso sound node seems ineffective for sampling audio, providing data and seems to offer no playback. Maybe I've overlooked something.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

out:strengthis just the sound effectors strength, but if i understood him correctly he
wants to get hold of the sample data. best way sound node imho, but i already said that

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
I mentioned at the end of my post, that the xpresso sound node seems ineffective for sampling audio, providing data and seems to offer no playback. Maybe I've overlooked something.

there is playback for the sound node, you are just not able to offest the playback in a visual
manner like you can do it the timmeline, just pass true to play. the node is actually meant
to create a 'boing' sound at the collsion event of to objects for example. therefor the play
option is a port.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Cool guys. Not in front C4D right now, but will come back later if I run into any issues.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread