Clock - Seconds Hand Hz tick, Stop & Start.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Clock - Seconds Hand Hz tick, Stop & Start.

Hey there,
I recently completed a big project for a series of online video manuals for Omega .
One of the regular features on most of the watches, was that when the time is being set, the second hand stops ticking, resuming again once the crown is pushed back in.
The second hand doesn't move in a smooth sweep, but is incremental steps of .96 degrees every 4 frames.
My solution was to keyframe one step of .96 degrees, then Offset Repeat this one 'tick'.
When the seconds hand stopped, I would hide the second hand with the repeat and reveal a stationary duplicate in the same position.
When the seconds hand resumed, I would keyframe another step on the duplicated hand and again Offset Repeat.
Not too messy, though for some of the more complicated watches, this function happened more than once. Also I need the ability to FastForward in time, with the seconds hand starting and stopping in the same position.
For the life of me, I can't think of a tidier way to do this without repeatedly duplicating the seconds hand.
I thought I could try the character parent tag, but no joy. There's probably an xpresso solution, but again, I can't think how to do it.
I've attached an example of my current solution, any thoughts gratefully received!
Attached Files
File Type: zip TimeRig_02.zip (80.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Check out this awesome setup from Matthias Zabiegly, should be good to dissect and get what you're after

cheers
brasc

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Got an Xpresso clock here which comes from an old thread in this forum somewhere.
I have zero knowledge on xpresso, but maybe you'll be able to modify it to your needs.

File: Xpresso Clock

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thanks guys!
My problem isn't linking the hand turn to elapsed time, but rather creating a method to implement incremental ticking - with the ability to start/stop this tick.
@Marcelb1, your setup has this tick function, so I should be able to pull it apart and have it independent of scene time.... I'll post my results!

Old 01 January 2013   #5
I posted a set up for such things the other week.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1089409

Cheers
Lennart

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Would this setup be any help to you?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1089409

cheers

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Lennart, your timing is uncanny.
The setup is great, though unless I'm mistaken, without some tinkering there's no way to pause the hand and then start it again.... am I right?

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Use VariTime mode and you'd be able to do that.

Cheers
Lennart

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Thanks Lennart. That's a really useful tool, especially for working on Chronographs and setting separate time displays/settings.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Excellent, I missed that.
This is perfect, thanks again, you're generosity is greatly appreciated!!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread