Cinema and Octane

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Cinema and Octane

A good friend of mine just invested heavily in Nvidia 680 cards and the gpu based Octane renderer and is rendering full HD HDRI physically accurate interior scenes in minutes/frame and able to see physically accurate visual feedback in real time as he works. They're about to release a Cinema plugin. Based on what I've seen, unless there's some drastic limitations, this is a paradigm shift that will surely be the end of Cinema's physical renderer as well as Vray that I've grown to love. Has anyone else been trying Octane? Am I off base in this?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Troyan: A good friend of mine just invested heavily in Nvidia 680 cards and the gpu based Octane renderer and is rendering full HD HDRI physically accurate interior scenes in minutes/frame and able to see physically accurate visual feedback in real time as he works. They're about to release a Cinema plugin. Based on what I've seen, unless there's some drastic limitations, this is a paradigm shift that will surely be the end of Cinema's physical renderer as well as Vray that I've grown to love. Has anyone else been trying Octane? Am I off base in this?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1082493

01 January 2013

Aha! Thanks Serge.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

01 January 2013
No way will it be that.
These unbiased renderers are very inflexible.

They can really only produce one style of render - the photoreal look (Assuming models & textures are good enough).

Nor can they output many of the usual types of passes to give you control of stuff in post.

Whats more, although the GPU may make it quicker than on the CPU, you can't 'cheat'.
It may be super-quick on a daytime outdoor scene.
But if you hit a scene with loads of glass surfaces, and dozens of light sources at night, they are still going to crawl - but unlike a biased render, you can't start turning effects off to bring the render times back down, you just have to lump it.

I tried a few of these unbiased renders (including Octane) and concluded they are nice 'special weapon' but that I'll use Advanced/ Physical render 90% of the time.

But it depends on your work. If you do certain types of render all the time, they may be able to be your mainstay.

01 January 2013
Isn't Octane still limited by the ram of a single GPU? For example, if you have 2 GTX 680 4GB's your renders are capped at 4GB. Octane is very nice, I bought it over a year ago, but it will never replace anything except for maybe Maxwell. Vray RT is biased and will be a CPU/GPU render engine and even it won't replace the Physical render engine for the simple reason that not everyone who has C4D is willing to spend another $1,000 to purchase it.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread