Effex Grace Period

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Man I really love the results from this plugin! Unfortunately I don't have the budget nor requirement for a plugin like this , but sure looks like it would be fun to play with

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Can you confirm, (for potential new users) there will be no introductory offer on release of v2.0 and no opportunity to try v2.0 before you buy?

Last edited by deepshade : 01 January 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #18
Hi deepshade,

there most probably will be an introductory period of 1 week or so with reduced prices. However of course it will not be as cheap as the current grace period pricing. This will also be the time for existing customers to get a price-reduced upgrade before the final price is charged.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Kleine: Hi deepshade,

there most probably will be an introductory period of 1 week or so with reduced prices. However of course it will not be as cheap as the current grace period pricing. This will also be the time for existing customers to get a price-reduced upgrade before the final price is charged.

This is disappointing. I've been holding out to see what v2 would bring. Not being able to demo the product before any price rise does feel rather like potential new users are being pushed to purchase the old product with a big (prices will go up) stick.

No, it's not my place to tell you guys how to run a business and honest - I'm not having a go - just does't seem very welcoming to potential new users.

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Originally Posted by deepshade: This is disappointing. I've been holding out to see what v2 would bring. Not being able to demo the product before any price rise does feel rather like potential new users are being pushed to purchase the old product with a big (prices will go up) stick.

No, it's not my place to tell you guys how to run a business and honest - I'm not having a go - just does't seem very welcoming to potential new users.

Hi deepshade,

I think you misunderstood. As mentioned there will be a time-period of about 1 week (maybe 2) after release where you can demo the product and use the introductory price (which is still lower than the final price). You save money but the grace period simply saves more money because you pay the current price.
It's our normal process, the grace period is always before the product release and an introductory price is always available for a short limited time once released. That's just how we handle this. Or maybe I misunderstand what you would like to know?

users are being pushed to purchase the old product with a big (prices will go up) stick

I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of this expression. Could you elaborate what you mean by that? Thanks

Let me know
Best
Nancy

Last edited by Kleine : 01 January 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Kleine: Hi deepshade,

I think you misunderstood. As mentioned there will be a time-period of about 1 week (maybe 2) after release where you can demo the product and use the introductory price (which is still lower than the final price). You save money but the grace period simply saves more money because you pay the current price.
It's our normal process, the grace period is always before the product release and an introductory price is always available for a short limited time once released. That's just how we handle this. Or maybe I misunderstand what you would like to know?

I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of this expression. Could you elaborate what you mean by that? Thanks

Let me know
Best
Nancy

No misunderstanding.

Regards 'big stick' expression...I'd rather not as I don't want to focus on the negative. Samir did a great job in bringing fluids to C4D, I just feel down that this new release doesnt come with a 'positive' purchase incentive.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Originally Posted by deepshade: No misunderstanding.

Regards 'big stick' expression...I'd rather not as I don't want to focus on the negative. Samir did a great job in bringing fluids to C4D, I just feel down that this new release doesnt come with a 'positive' purchase incentive.

I am a little bit confused to be honest. Our grace period is a service of ours for those that consider to buy Effex 1.5 anyway, it's just a little teaser for them to make the decision.

And for those that want to first see what comes in v2.0, they get the previews and could then still decide to go that route. If you want to wait for the new version to appear so you can first demo it, that's absolutely understandable. But once the new version is released, the new prices take place. We still give all customers (also existing) a chance to save money by offering an introductory price.

We don't feel anything is negative about it. Seems very positive and fair to us.
But okay, of course everyone is free to make up their own mind about this and if it fits for them. I'm sorry to hear it doesn't for you but thanks for your feedback! I appreciate you expressing your concerns.

Best
Nancy

Last edited by Kleine : 01 January 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Countless companies let you purchase an old version with the promise of a free update when released (Adobe). We are in the dark now about what is to come, that is for sure, so it is a bit of a gamble. New version will be more expensive, no surprise.

Option 1 buy now and get a free update.
Option 2 wait for release (play with demo) and use introduction price (wich will be higher than the "grace" price)

You can dislike this as a customer, but I don't think this is very uncommon practice.
I'm very curious to see what Samir has cooked for us.

odo

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Like I said - I don't want to get too negative.

Best wishes for the 2.0 launch.

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Originally Posted by Kleine: I am a little bit confused to be honest. Our grace period is a service of ours for those that consider to buy Effex 1.5 anyway, it's just a little teaser for them to make the decision.

And for those that want to first see what comes in v2.0, they get the previews and could then still decide to go that route. If you want to wait for the new version to appear so you can first demo it, that's absolutely understandable. But once the new version is released, the new prices take place. We still give all customers (also existing) a chance to save money by offering an introductory price.

We don't feel anything is negative about it. Seems very positive and fair to us.
But okay, of course everyone is free to make up their own mind about this and if it fits for them. I'm sorry to hear it doesn't for you but thanks for your feedback! I appreciate you expressing your concerns.

Best
Nancy

The problem is this approach isn't costumer friendly. True, you don't have to offer a price break at all, but you're not telling us what the new features are or what the price is. So the customer is left feeling like "well, I better buy it now!" without knowing what they're buying. Then when you do release with 1 week grace period, it's going to be more expensive for 1 week, but less expensive than the final, whatever that is. Sounds like you're really jacking it up, like comparable to RealFlow, so you're not telling us what that price is. So you make some quick bucks before release with somewhat of a scare tactic, then people are going to be pressured to buy within the 1 week of lower prices (that you haven't actually said you will do, just that you "probably" will) before hiking it up to whatever the fill price is. I think this would be a better deal if you told everyone what those prices are and what the new features will be before you launch.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 01 January 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Troyan: The problem is this approach isn't costumer friendly. True, you don't have to offer a price break at all, but you're not telling us what the new features are or what the price is. So the customer is left feeling like "well, I better buy it now!" without knowing what they're buying. Then when you do release with 1 week grace period, it's going to be more expensive for 1 week, but less expensive than the final, whatever that is. Sounds like you're really jacking it up, like comparable to RealFlow, so you're not telling us what that price is. So you make some quick bucks before release with somewhat of a scare tactic, then people are going to be pressured to buy within the 1 week of lower prices (that you haven't actually said you will do, just that you "probably" will) before hiking it up to whatever the fill price is. I think this would be a better deal if you told everyone what those prices are and what the new features will be before you launch.

Nancy cleared up our point of view already. She was as transparent as possible, polite and driven to help clear out any misunderstandings, explain the road map and what to expect and what not.
I don't know what to say to your posting but that it feels very offensive and aggressive. We neither use 'scare tactics' nor do we 'put pressure' on anybody.
We are not forcing anybody to read, eat, buy or do anything..ever.

I really feel you are high-jacking our thread with accusations on purpose (if I wouldn't know better I'd say you are getting personal here..) and I don't like the sound of it.

All we do in this thread is offering something. If you want it, get it. Otherwise don't.

Please let's get back on topic.
Thank you

Last edited by Katachi : 01 January 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
i cannot see any problem here, it is the common approach. for example maxons MSA
works the same way.

you get the price reduction for supporting the dev. it is a expression of trust into the
product which is being rewarded by a price reduction. when you do not think that the
current state of the product is justifying your trust, then do not buy it. get the demo,
test it, if you think 'awesome', can only get better, buy it. if not, wait.

i personally think the concept of multiple price stages is actually quite customer friendly.
it allows you to jump in at the point which suits your interest on the product.

Old 01 January 2013   #28
"well, I better buy it now!" without knowing what they're buying"

You're buying now EFFEX 1.7 at the regular price, so you 100% know what you get.

You don't know what's next, true, but you get it "for free", so what's to complain about?

That's totally fair in my eye. Yes it's an incentive to buy things now, that's called business, but that's completely ok in that regard. Maxon, Adobe, everybody does that.

The only thing that worries me is that Effex is already an expensive plugin

I can't really justify buying it right now as no current job really requires it and I guess It'll be even harder to justify the next one...

Old 01 January 2013   #29
As long as the price doesn´t do a big jump, it all seems fair to me, although I would love to see some info on the changes.

Will there be an update to plants as well, or just to effex which seems to get the major work?
I´m always tempted to buy DPIT but the lack of use for commercial projects and a slight beta/programmer-logic feel have been holding me back so far. Really looking forward to 2.0 and surely I´ll be reconsidering!

Old 01 January 2013   #30
I have Maxon MSA, which is actually the same - I trust Maxon to bring me outstanding new version and Maxon offers me to pay less for it. I think this approach is quite fair. If you don´t like it you can buy the upgrade/new version for the standard price.

Thread Closed share thread