Tutorials - UV-mapping for game designers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Tutorials - UV-mapping for game designers

Hi all,

I have been searching for some good tutorials for UV mapping, with focus on game design, i.e combining several maps/objects to one uv space. I have looked at Cineversity without any luck, and I had a hard time fining something really useful on youtube. I only found the general hobbyist-tutorials.

I am doing a game for mobile platforms and I really should say that I am quite new to both Cinema and game design. I am a pre-3ds max guy that has mainly done arch-viz so UV-mapping hasn't really been on my agenda as I mostly have used box, cylindrical, spherical etc.

Hope to hear from you guys on any useful tips.

Thanks a lot!

P.G

01 January 2013
Not game specific but the following set of tutorials show you everything you need know to get up to speed with UV mapping in C4D:

Discovering BodyPaint with 3DKiwi

Hope this helps.

01 January 2013
Hi Polygoon,
I honestly have no clue if this is going to get you anywhere,
but I was thinking to do a search in the Unity forums also. http://udn.unity3d.com/

And I'm sure there was a user on this forum who was using c4d for game development (in Unity), his name was Thomas Patieska or something? OK, quick search: thomaspasieka
Again, not sure this is helpful, sorry…

(if you get anywhere please let us know, at least myself would be interested)

[UP]

01 January 2013
I'm currently working between C4D and Unity 4 (pro). I believe the term you're looking for is called "atlasing". It's like creating a meta UV map; one large bitmap texture that contains all the textures in the scene, and the relevant portions/areas of the atlas map are then assigned to their respective objects.

Hopefully that'll help you perform some better searches.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by [UP]: Hi Polygoon,
I honestly have no clue if this is going to get you anywhere,
but I was thinking to do a search in the Unity forums also. http://udn.unity3d.com/

And I'm sure there was a user on this forum who was using c4d for game development (in Unity), his name was Thomas Patieska or something? OK, quick search: thomaspasieka
Again, not sure this is helpful, sorry…

(if you get anywhere please let us know, at least myself would be interested)

[UP]

That is Thomas from 3D Attack. Former c4d magazine that evolved into Unity magazine. They published several tutorials about low poly modelling and texturing for games. Not sure if the magazine is still running: http://www.3dattack.us

02 February 2013
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys! I found a workflow that seems to do the trick for me. I just project each object to the same texture, find some space and make the poys fit , and then do a UV mesh layer for reference in Photoshop.

I do however find UVing in Cinema very tedious. What I see most other packages do is basically picking seams on your object and unwrapping from that. Pelting and relaxing basically. Is this possible in Cinema? And is it possible to snap points in UV space? I have tried the UV terrace command and it works to some extent, but being able to snap points on my UV polygons wold really speed up things.

If the consensus is that UVing in Cinema isn´t your best bet, I would love any tips on third party options. I have heard about Headus and Topogun, but have no experience. So before I go down that road I would really like to hear what the community prefferes.

I should say Im on a mac, r14.

02 February 2013
Sorry, I was going to say Bodypaint does have point snapping... but looking at BP in R14 ( for the first time) I can't find it hahaha. I'll keep looking

I've been wishing BP would allow for quick editing by select dragging points for quick UV point manipulation. Right now you have to click the point, then click and drag it. Needs a tweak mode. Anyone know if it has one hidden somewhere?
Silo

02 February 2013
hahaha, Just found it! Snapping that is. Select the move tool in bp and an attributes window will pop up. It has a snapping tab with options for points or edges. Hope this helps!
Silo

02 February 2013
It certainly does help, Dick! Thanks for that! And I found a way to mimic tweak mode by simply using sticky keys. Stay in your preferred selection mode, and select the vertex you would like to move - hold down E and move the vertex. When you would like to select another vertex - just let go of the E-key and it snaps back to selection mode. Its not really tweak mode but at least it feels a bit more intuitive. I quite like the magnet mode too when moving polygons about. Very useful.

Another thing I am wondering, and I have searched for an answer without luck, is how you assign a material from the UV editor to your object without using the wizard. Lets say I create a texture 1024x1024 and unwrap my object to this space. How do I now assign this texture back to the object. I would have thought that when you unwrap your object to a texture this texture automatic gets assigned to your object. Not so. So the way I do it now is that I actually have to save the texture to disc and then assign it to my object from there. This seems very unnecessary to me. It certainly makes quick testing all but quick. Anyone?

Love this forum btw!

Last edited by Polygoon : 02 February 2013 at 08:53 PM.

02 February 2013
To texture an object the object needs a Material tag.
In the Material tag you can choose a projection methode.
A Material tag needs to be linked to a Texture or nothing but white will show up.
A Texture has channels.
Channels can be use to load bitmaps.
Bitmaps that excist in memory will showup in a list.
Choose your bitmap and you're good to go.
That's basicly it.

Although BodyPaint is quite old by now it can still do most things you would expect it to do ...but you need to know some of the basic stuff so reading the manual won't harm you.

The Magnet tools in both Cinema and Bodypaint are great tools. Set distance to zero, preview off and you have your tweak tools.

02 February 2013
Hi Pavel Zoch has UV and bodypaint tutorials that talk about unwrapping and relaxing of mesh uv's here is a link..
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1048448

Lee

02 February 2013
Thank you all for these great tips guys!

Really appreciated!

02 February 2013
Anyone have tips for stiching and sewing seams? This is the thing that I really dislike about BP is that it doesn't treat the UV's as island groups. It doesn't show you connecting edges, and the UV Terrace tool just snaps the points together instead of moving the group. Are there any plug-ins or scripts that help in BP?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Andy1010: and the UV Terrace tool just snaps the points together instead of moving the group.

If you want to move the group with the UV Terrace Tool, the uvpolygons need to be selected.
Hide those uvpolygons you don't want to connect to, to get a more predictable result. Problem areas are where uv polygons can connect to other uvpolygions of the same group. Maybe someone else knows a solution for that.

Thread Closed share thread