Net Render - Wireless vs Wired

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Net Render - Wireless vs Wired

So right now in my office I only have a wireless connection, not wired. I've thought about adding a wired LAN and keeping my wireless internet, but not being a networking guy this has me more than a bit confused. Already tried using both connections, disabling default gateways, etc. Just got me confused enough to know I'd need to learn more about networking in order to proceed and that's not high on my agenda.

So, my questions is, what kind of network throughput does net render really require? Does it need a lot of speed to transfer the file data to the nodes in order to render, or is the data being transferred over the network small enough to be feasible for a wireless connection?

Any information is much appreciated!

Old 01 January 2013   #2
hm, i do not really understand your question. the standard wlan speed
is the same as for a standard ethernet - 10 mbit/s. but even older wlan
router offer 100 mbit/s speed. you can buy up to 300 mbit/s wlan routers.
the top speed of consumer ethernet cards is still 1000 mbit/s i think.

10 mbit/s ~ 1.25 Mb/s
300 mbit/s ~ 37.5 MB/s

so it dependes a bit on the throughput of your router. but even with a
10 mbit/s router you will be fine, unsless you do not have to handle
multiple 100 mb big c4d files on a regular basis. passing the render
results will almost never be a problem.

the only reason not use wlans these days are security concerns IMHO.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
This depends on the number of render clients and the size of the projects.
If you only have a handfull of clients and your projects don't include huge textures or animations you can get away with wireless.
With anything bigger than such a situation you are better of using a simple switch (buying anything but a 1000BaseT switch doesn't make any sense) and Cat6 patchcords.
Personally i would always go for the wired option since especially on startup of a job all clients need to be fed at the same time, this can easily saturate a WLAN connection. It get's even worse if rendertimes for the seperate frames are very similar and multiple clients try to send back large results at the same time.
In short, go for cable.
Cheers
Björn

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Keep in mind you'll never get the full wireless speed and that it will generally be divided down between clients. The best youll get these days is dual-N wireless which is 600mbit (roughly 60 megs a second) but the reality, even with a full signal is that youll be lucky to sustain 10-20 megs a second.

This is then further divided down, so although you can get 20 megs a second to and from the router, if you have 5 render machines, theyll be lucky to get 4 megs a second each. 100 meg project, a gig of textures, youre looking at 5 minutes just to get the project to the computers every time you hit render.

Grab some cat6 or cat5e, a simple gigabit switch and plug them in, the transfer speed will be 10x faster. Literally.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread