Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

Thanks Brian

I'll work on it and then post it in the 11secondclub as well (I hope it is ok having the same wip on two different forums). I looked through some older posts there, and there were some people doing a boxing animation as well, and the tipps they got are really helpful.

So thanks a lot again

Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #17
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

so still working on the animation, but I did some work on the first set as well.
It is the changing room where he will put on his boxing gloves.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Katachi
Boss at Naviť

portfolio
Samir Kharchi
FX Artist & Software Dev
Naviť
Magdeburg, Germany

Haha, I really like the smiley keyfob Indeed the motions may need some attention as in to getting them a little smoother without loosing the tension and weight or natural extent. Brian has some excellent points there.

But overall it looks like a good start. I also think you have a good eye for camera motion & composition which is just as important.

You need to take a look at your textures (repetitions, scale, shading) and the lighting too but that probably is something for a later stage.

Bin gespannt. Weitermachen.
GruŖ

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

hehe, thanks I know the animation still needs lots of work, but I am on it

I changed already the size of the wood texture in the back, made it a lot bigger. But I was wondering, what exactly would you suggest for the lightning? Normally I really like the 3 point lightning, key light, fill light and back light, but in this case I thought as it is inside and in most fitness studios the light comes from the top, I chose to use an area light which is over the bank. I also guess that the towel needs some more work. I used hair for it, getting the frottee look, but I realise now, that is just looking very noise

Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
vid2k2
Expert

Wonderful progress since last I read this thread.
As an art director and c4d user, it's attention to detail
that makes all the difference

Perhaps the bench composition could be improved ...
ie: the towel looks a bit dried out and the banana is
balancing itself on edge quite remarkably

Maybe a tighter grouping would work for you ... ?

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

so I changed the grouping on the bench, as vid2k2 suggested, and worked on another place, the training room where he is doing all his jabs, hooks etc.

The gorilla in the image is only a dummy, hair etc will be switched on later. But I wanted to see how the light is falling on him, while he is doing his jabs. I will made the banana logo less light, it is drawing the eye too much away from the gorilla. I am also not completely happy about the colour of the boxing sack... I thought black would be nice, but it is not really recognizable as a boxing sack and the structure of the leather is not seen very well.

And here is the animation to the scene above, not completely done yet, there is still some work to do. Now that I am seeing it again, I think he should accelerate more before each jab and maybe hold the punching position not only for 1 frame, but maybe for two so that it is better seen and looks with more force. But you get the rough idea

Gorilla_jab

Now I am just putting in some more work into the other animations and this one as well of course.

Anna

Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Nice progress! I'd agree with your own notes. One other thing to look at is the eye direction, in your still above the right pupil is almost half hidden by the lower lid which isn't very natural (or attractive graphically), I'd try to keep it centered more and have only a 3rd of it obscured by the lid at most. This would also make it look like he's focused on the bag rather than looking towards the ground.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
bunk
Expert

Hi Anna,
Some more comments on the animation. The punch bag currently acts like a hollow tube, while it has an enormous weight. It should move but only in the direction of the punches as if it's pushed.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZkEgq...feature=related

The punches should be a combination with their own ritme. Your last punch is done after the left hand is already back, but it should start imo the moment the left returns, landing around frame 44.

Also if you look at youtube link, the man is constantly moving. This brings a lot of life to the scene. Try it with your gorilla.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

thanks a lot you two I'll change all the things you suggested and then post the next update

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

Hey everyone,

it has been some really busy weeks so I didn't have much time to work on the Gorilla, but now I found some time and I used all your things you told me and so here is another update I am not completely happy with the boxing sack yet, it is still looking kind of stiff, not like something organic, if you know what I mean. I haven't done anything on the face yet, but it is in work as well as the surroundings etc.

Anna

Gorilla_Animation

Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
ClassicGamer
Frequenter

Johnny
Leicester, United Kingdom

This looks superb, the lockers scene with the bottled water & banana looks great. I really like the natural lighting too.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
NiklasR
Expert

portfolio
Niklas Rosenstein
Germany

Wow! Really nice, the animation looks very smooth and natural. Congratulations!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
bunk
Expert

A huge step forward Anna. Great work!
Smal critic still ...in the second and last combination the start with the right arm could use some more energy it's almost as if he pushes the punch bag.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
nibeck
Expert

Looking very nice.

Small comment. The two punches starting around frame 50 (a rt. and then a left) feel a bit slow to me.

_mike

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

Hey hey,

thanks a lot for your nice comments and feedback I changed the thinks you suggested, gave the right arm some more energy in the second and last part and speeded up the two punches around frame 50.

Boxing Gorilla

So now I am going to carry on setting up the environment and animating the face.

Anna

Thread Closed share thread