Render times and memory

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Render times and memory

So here's the thing. I'm rendering out and all 24 cores are beavering away, but the render is slow due to AO and the render time just keeps mounting and mounting until it's looking like days.

Fine, but cinema (R13 on a mac 10.7.5) is not using much RAM at all, and of my 24gig of RAM 21 is unused (2.71 being used, inactive 353.44), with only 1.23gig being used to render. Is this normal? Adapt Thread Priority is off.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
If the scene is low on objects and geometry then it won't use much RAM. That has little to no bearing on the speed of rendering, it just means it's using all it needs. Just sounds like the scene needs optimising.

cheers
brasc

Old 01 January 2013   #3
When you go shopping, the bags take up as much space in your boot as they need, no more, no less; and regardless of how much space your shopping takes up, it still takes the same amount of time to drive home.

Rendering is the same. Your project will use as much memory as it needs, whether it uses 1 gig or 10, it doesnt really have any impact on the render speed. Trying to make the render engine use more RAM would be like spreading your shopping around in the boot, it wont actually make any difference.

The only exception is if your shopping doesnt fit in the boot, then it will require multiple trips to the shops. Rendering is the same, so long as your project fits inside the 24 gigs space you have, youre fine, but if it doesnt fit, then it will slow down as it has to keep taking multiple trips to your harddrive.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
perhaps learning what uses gram and what uses CPU will aid you in better utilizing your system to the best. For instance AO has little to no affect on ram because it is a calculation which has to be figured out by the cpu. Ram is for storing and quickly accessing information that already exists things like caches, textures geometry etc. If you bake your cpu intensive AO into textures, heck even super hires textures. That might fill up your ram more, but more importantly not require calculation so dramatically speed up your rendertime.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thanks for the replies folks.

As you could tell, I wasn't sure of the relationship between RAM and CPU usage with Cinema, so thanks for clearing that up. I have tried optimising the scene but can't getting it looking right. I think I might deconstruct the scene (which I didn't model) and optimise from the bottom up.

Thanks again - your help is much appreciated.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread