HOT4D, Houdini Ocean Toolkit port to C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
HOT4D, Houdini Ocean Toolkit port to C4D

Hello to all

Manuel(aka valkaari) made this port for c4d

Check developer blog for news > http://www.valkaari.com/?cat=40

Plug-in for windows and mac OSs : http://valkaari.com/forum/hot4d/hot4d_alpha.zip
And special kit of dlls in root of c4d(unpack it in dir with executables): http://valkaari.com/forum/hot4d/fftwdll.zip

Shading of ocean: terrain mask shader, simbionts, stacx... and if renderman - i use air(OceanSurface/WithForm shader), http://sitexgraphics.com/blog/?p=103

Source from frenchcinema4d.fr

P.S. Valkaari, i'm sorry that post it at this forum, i think need more beta-testers.

Last edited by ilay : 01 January 2013 at 02:45 PM.

01 January 2013
Great to see this ported to Cinema. It works pretty well, gives a nice animated ocean. I must dig out my copy of Add-the-Sea and compare the two, though ATS is getting a bit old now.

01 January 2013
This is great! Thanks.

Cheers
Bonsak

01 January 2013
Thanks for sharing.

01 January 2013
Manuel, I'm sorry, i miss that warning:
Quote: Pour le moment, merci de ne pas diffuser sur les autres forums cette information (je le ferais moi même quand j'aurais intégré les fichiers de licences aux fichiers zip, et remis un peu d'ordre dans les fichiers sources pour les diffuser)

(if somebody doesn't understand, use any translating engine from French)

Only thinking about increasing of beta-testers.
Again, sorry

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by IlaySHP: Manuel, I'm sorry, i miss that warning:
Quote: Pour le moment, merci de ne pas diffuser sur les autres forums cette information (je le ferais moi même quand j'aurais intégré les fichiers de licences aux fichiers zip, et remis un peu d'ordre dans les fichiers sources pour les diffuser)

(if somebody doesn't understand, use any translating engine from French)

Only thinking about increasing of beta-testers.
Again, sorry

Translation for convenience

Quote: Thanks for currently not distributing this information in other forums (I will do this myself once I have integrated the license files into the zip archive and ordered the source files a bit for distribution)

Still, good to see this ported.

01 January 2013
No problem, i was waiting a bit because i'm not sure i'm following the good path with this.
i should create a deformer instead of a generator.

I'm also working on a shader for this, but right now it's not working.

For those that don't speak french, i've created a category on my blog about HOT4D.

http://www.valkaari.com/?cat=40

If you got some questions of course, feel free to ask.

Sources will be distributed but right now, it's just a mess T.T

01 January 2013
Looks nice. You might find neither an object generator nor deformer are needed. If its well implemented as a material for displacements, remember using the displace deformer with the emulation box checked will allow the deformed mash to show up in the editor.

01 January 2013
works only on 64bit?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by imashination: Looks nice. You might find neither an object generator nor deformer are needed. If its well implemented as a material for displacements, remember using the displace deformer with the emulation box checked will allow the deformed mash to show up in the editor.

but how to interact with other objects then ? I think real geometry is desirable as well ...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by paulmara: works only on 64bit?

Yes, author of hot recommends it for memory management and recent libs were compiled at x64.
(As i understand Scott Iverson from SiTex Graphics adopted air shaders to handle x86 environment by 32-bit seawave dso/lib)

Last edited by ilay : 01 January 2013 at 12:06 PM.

01 January 2013
Wow - realistic looking ocean surface, right inside C4D. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops. Great job!.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Lothar1952: but how to interact with other objects then ? I think real geometry is desirable as well ...

How do you mean? the displace deformer creates real geometry, just like all the other deformers do.

Add a plane
Create a material and apply it to the plane, then add a noise shader into the displacement channel
Add a displace deformer, apply it to the plane and enable the emulation checkbox.

You should now have the shader creating real geometry in the editor. If it saves a lot of time, then really only the shader needs to be made. Unless the wave system is to be expanded and include curling waves, then theres nothing much to gain.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by imashination: How do you mean? the displace deformer creates real geometry, just like all the other deformers do.

you are right - didn´t read thoroughly enough. This way thought you would like a shader to use in displace channel of a material. Displace deformer with a shader works of course and I can access points of the deformed geometry to attach objects to. But wonder if it is faster than a coded deformer doing this intermediate step...

01 January 2013
A deformer would certainly be a good option, as you can then mix it with local simulation for instance for a splash.

Thread Closed share thread