R14 massively upsizing R13 projects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
R14 massively upsizing R13 projects

Hey everyone,

This is really odd, and I want to see if it is just me, or if there is some sort of bug at work here.

I have had R14 since its release, but have only just started having the opportunity to transition everything over. Almost right out of the gate, I am having an issue.

I can take a project from R13 that is 33.2 MB in size, open it in R14 and without modifying anything I do a 'Save Project with Assets', and the resulting c4d file has grown in size to 1.35 GB!!! The tex folder stays the same at about 49 MB, but there is something crazy going on in the translation form R13 to R14. I have done this now a handful of times using various projects, but the result is the same... the.c4d project goes from being double-digit MB to being in the 1-2 GB range.

Has anyone else encountered this or a similar issue?

I am using the most current versions of r14 and R13, on OSX 10.7.4

Thanks,
- Will
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Interesting, as I'm seeing a reduction in size, or only a very slight increase.

Car sim scene
R12 file was: 171,579 kb
R14 file is now: 117,992 kb

Heavy interior
R12: 540,144kb
R14: 522,490kb

Full body w/organs etc
R12: 110,878kb
R14: 111.124kb

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Just a guess, but do you eventually have checked "save polys for Melange" in preferences?
I learned this tickbox can increase the filesize enormously, especially in combination with clones.

Greets, Pauki

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by pauki: Just a guess, but do you eventually have checked "save polys for Melange" in preferences?
I learned this tickbox can increase the filesize enormously, especially in combination with clones.

Greets, Pauki

Yep, that was it. I was having issues a few weeks back with getting After Effects to import C4D files from R14, and was told to turn that on. I never went back and turned it off, but then I had no idea it made such an impact.

Thanks
- Will
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Anyone curious, the melange setting (Maxon name features with a random word generator) essentially includes a copy of the entire project flattened down to raw ploys within the .c4d file. So a landscape in a cloner might make a 100kb regular file, but after making editable or turning on melange it can hit multiple gigs very fast.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thanks for explaining, Mash. What is this feature for, exactly?

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Basically, many softwares can now read the .c4d file format directly, like vectorworks or after effects, some external renderers etc. However while they may be able to read our format and convert somethings to similar technologies, like a cube, sphere, or even hypernurbs to some other subdivision system, they won't be able to reproduce all of our generators like a landscape object or a mograph cloner. Rather than having such objects fail, you can basically force C4D to also include a polygonally converted version of all objects that the software can read if it doesn't know how to convert the generator version.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
That's great for working across apps. Does that make r14 files backward compatible wit earlier c4d versions as well?

Old 01 January 2013   #9
>That's great for working across apps. Does that make r14 files backward compatible wit earlier c4d versions as well?

no , cos previous versions of c4d didn't have melange.

cheers
Paul

Old 01 January 2013   #10
True. Didn't think of that.

Thanks Paul!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by imashination: Anyone curious, the melange setting (Maxon name features with a random word generator) essentially includes a copy of the entire project flattened down to raw ploys within the .c4d file. So a landscape in a cloner might make a 100kb regular file, but after making editable or turning on melange it can hit multiple gigs very fast.

Maud Dib must use this setting a lot ;-)

Old 07 July 2013   #12
I had the same thing. Simple mograph scenes went up like crazy. Thanks for the reminder about melange. I've tried c4d r14 with adobe CC and left the check on. A bit off topic, but I must say I prefer to work the old way because working with native c4d files in AE is way to slow to be honest. I wish there will be CUDA support in the future.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread