helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Storm Tracer & DeGamma for R14

I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of the updates for DeGamma (0.41) and Storm Tracer (1.39.06) for Cinema 4D R14.

These new updates are significant rewrites taking advantage of new changes and additions to the Cinema 4D API in R14 that allow for tighter integration and better structures and memory management.

DeGamma 0.41 is now much more tightly integrated with the Physical Renderer, supporting blurry effects such as depth of field within all of the Fishy Distorter lens distortion effects, including "Little World". This includes features such as custom bokeh shapes and blades.

Meanwhile Storm Tracer 1.39 has had it's data structures overhauled using the R14 memory management. This means faster render times due to faster pre-passes and lower memory usage when dealing with large particle counts.

In addtion on the PC side the pre-passes have been multi-threaded where possible leading to a further substantial speedup on the Windows platform.

The Storm Brush has been overhauled and now will automatically add in both Null objects and Storm effects into the scene if either no object or no Storm tag is selected when starting a stroke, and also now has the option of a color to paint with.

Surface color sampling has been updated to allow control over what is sampled whether that's the illumination of a surface, shadows, transparency or reflections from a surface.

Bump now offers an option for a shape of "Normal" which uses the Storm Particles velocity to set the particles surface normal when rendering with Lighting enabled. This works in conjunction with the new Surface Sampling option to allow for a more realistic object dissolve effect that now reacts and behaves as expected with relation to scene lights and shadows.

Storm Tracer is available from thirdpartyplugins.com here : http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/stormtracer/

And DeGamma is also avaialble from thirdpartyplugins.com here : http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/degamma/

Further information can be found through the above links.

Storm Tracer 1.39 and DeGamma 0.41 are free updates and are available for immediate download by existing customers running Cinema 4D R14. Anyone wishing to update their DeGamma or Storm Tracer serials from an earlier version of Cinema 4D should follow the instructions given on the Third Party forums here : http://forum.thirdpartyplugins.com/...pic.php?f=8&t=3

Enjoy!

Last edited by Per-Anders : 01-13-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

This is not possible on OSX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per-Anders
In addtion on the PC side the pre-passes have been multi-threaded where possible leading to a further substantial speedup on the Windows platform.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
ernia
Mad Knight

portfolio
Arik Thuesen
USA

That's fantastic, Per!

I was just thinking last night that I will have to do a project in R13 because ST isn't available to for R14, but lo and behold, just like Christmas morning, my wish has come true! ST for R14. What a gift this is.

You're my hero for the New Year!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardseed
This is not possible on OSX?

No, sorry. The multithreading is heavily dependent on OpenMP in this instance and the R14 API requires the use of LLVM clang rather than GCC which means that it's unavailable at this time on OSX. However there have been multiple speed and memory optimizations which make Storm Tracer 1.39 faster even without multithreading.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernia
That's fantastic, Per!

I was just thinking last night that I will have to do a project in R13 because ST isn't available to for R14, but lo and behold, just like Christmas morning, my wish has come true! ST for R14. What a gift this is.

You're my hero for the New Year!

Pleased to hear it!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Delinos
PRO
Anders Sandelin
Freelance animator
Sweden

Thanks for this new version Per!
Just had a play with it for an hour this morning and it is ridiculously fast.

Thumbs up!
Anders

Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Stormtracer is like trapcode's particular but native in C4D, right?

I guess it deals with multiple alphas better than the current renderer and it's ray depth limit...

Is there a demo? or can I use it with the demo version of C4D?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

Also trying to understand exactly what Stormtracer is and why it would be needed.

Does this plugin add functionality that native C4D doesn't have?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
CosmicBear
I'm just a CosmicBear

portfolio
Stephan
creative director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to CosmicBear Send a message via Yahoo to CosmicBear
errr... DeGamma standard license is 40, for a license server license it's 39960?

Not sure, I'll get this approved...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

enter in your actual license server serial and it will adjust to tell you how much. based on the number of licenses your server has.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBear
errr... DeGamma standard license is 40, for a license server license it's 39960?

Not sure, I'll get this approved...

Haha, yeah. Actually the pricing is based on the serial. When no serial is entered then it just defaults to the maximum value (and you cannot make a purchase or progress without the serial). You must enter a serial in order to get the correct value. I've changed it so that the default when no serial is entered is 0 EUROS to avoid any further panic (although you still wont be able to progress until you've entered a valid serial)..

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
Stormtracer is like trapcode's particular but native in C4D, right?

I guess it deals with multiple alphas better than the current renderer and it's ray depth limit...

Is there a demo? or can I use it with the demo version of C4D?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi,

It can do that, but it is more closely tied in with Cinema's own render engine, casting shadows masking in scene and taking color from a surface it's emitted from. It also contains it's own little growth and branching system for more exotic effects and offers blending modes between the sprites that's not possible with standard geometry.

You can check out the showreel here : http://www.peranders.com/gallery/ga...Reel&area=reels

And there's more information about the plugin here : http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/stormtracer

There is no demo.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Darth Mole
Expert
Shortsighted Sith Assassin
United Kingdom

I'm playing with Stormtracer again, but it's really crash. Remove Storm, crashes; use preview render, crashes; fiddle with stuff, crashes. Is it still being actively developed? Do you want crash logs?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Mole
I'm playing with Stormtracer again, but it's really crash. Remove Storm, crashes; use preview render, crashes; fiddle with stuff, crashes. Is it still being actively developed? Do you want crash logs?

Did you make sure to download the correct version for your version of Cinema 4D? If you are using R14 you must use 1.39.03, if you have an earlier version it will not be compatible (you can check the version by going to Script->Console and checking what is written there). If you are then please do send me your crash reports or scenes/setups that result in crashes for you.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Darth Mole
Expert
Shortsighted Sith Assassin
United Kingdom

Yep, definitely the right version. I'll ping over any crash logs as I get them.

Thanks

Thread Closed share thread