CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
ChrisCorr
Veteran

Christian Correia
Freelancer
Santa Cruz, Portugal

So many people "waiting for MacPro". Is this purely because you need MacOS? As a professional If a OS was limiting my hardware options then I'd consider switching OS. Or at least in the case of MacOS I would go for a Hackintosh to have the "best" of both worlds.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

As one who has burnt out a logic board before - a warranty that allows you to get back up and running mere hours after a complete catastrophic failure of your workstation is incredibly reassuring during crunch time.

But the costs are ridiculously high. *sigh*

To those who have built their own machines - if you were on a very hard deadline, and experienced a motherboard crash - what would be your plan of attack?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCorr
So many people "waiting for MacPro". Is this purely because you need MacOS? As a professional If a OS was limiting my hardware options then I'd consider switching OS. Or at least in the case of MacOS I would go for a Hackintosh to have the "best" of both worlds.

I was waiting for the mac pro, then I built a windows machine and found out it isn't the nightmare it's made out to be in the mac forums. I'm glad I did, because I would still be waiting. The "We want a new mac pro" facebook page is getting all excited about getting something in the fall. That's ridiculous.

I could never rely on a hackintosh. Too many things that can go wrong software wise and it limits hardware choices. When you get right down to it, I spend 90% of my time in my apps and not the OS, so Windows or Mac matters little to me now.

Last edited by Venkman : 04-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
ChrisCorr
Veteran

Christian Correia
Freelancer
Santa Cruz, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
As one who has burnt out a logic board before - a warranty that allows you to get back up and running mere hours after a complete catastrophic failure of your workstation is incredibly reassuring during crunch time.

To those who have built their own machines - if you were on a very hard deadline, and experienced a motherboard crash - what would be your plan of attack?

Plan A - Walk (or run if you're REALLY in a hurry) down to the local computer shop and get a replacement. - 1 hour until everything is back up.

Plan B - Order replacement online - 12-24 hours until everything is back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
When you get right down to it, I spend 90% of my time in my apps and not the OS, so Windows or Mac matters little to me now.

Exactly! People are willing to learn new softwares left and right, but when it comes to OS it's like it's a lifetime club.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCorr
Or at least in the case of MacOS I would go for a Hackintosh to have the "best" of both worlds.

The Maxon Bug database is full of crash reports from Hackintosh systems that don't run stable, i wouldn't recommend it for use with CINEMA 4D.
Cheers
Björn

Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier

I can't imagine a single company getting a replacement installed and up and running faster than a self built computer where can I can go out and buy one at a local computer store in walking/driving distance. And yes it isn't covered by warranty other than perhaps 1st year manufacture but I also didn't have to pay for warranty. my cpu is the same as shoqman's, and sadly my stable OC is performing slightly under his, but considering the initial speed prior to overlcocking is around 10-11 its like you get an extra two cores of performance (in cinebench measure) in rendering at no extra cost, and the best single core performance available. For the layman, modern motherboards overclocking is the press of a button, literally, just pressing a single button that's it unless you wanna really try to max it out.

And my system has 64gb of ram, where the cost of that much ram for the mac pro is almost the same as the cost of my computer

Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Slackers. :-D

These Intel chips overclock like crazy. Got mine on water running @ 4.8 GHz.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
I can't imagine a single company getting a replacement installed and up and running faster than a self built computer where can I can go out and buy one at a local computer store in walking/driving distance. And yes it isn't covered by warranty other than perhaps 1st year manufacture but I also didn't have to pay for warranty. my cpu is the same as shoqman's, and sadly my stable OC is performing slightly under his, but considering the initial speed prior to overlcocking is around 10-11 its like you get an extra two cores of performance (in cinebench measure) in rendering at no extra cost, and the best single core performance available. For the layman, modern motherboards overclocking is the press of a button, literally, just pressing a single button that's it unless you wanna really try to max it out.

And my system has 64gb of ram, where the cost of that much ram for the mac pro is almost the same as the cost of my computer

Makes sense; I guess I don't trust my (relatively) local shop enough to carry the exact make/models I need, but if you live in an urban area, there's much more selection.

As for the ram, no user worth their salt buys that direct from Apple. I can't believe they can get away for charging those prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srek
The Maxon Bug database is full of crash reports from Hackintosh systems that don't run stable, i wouldn't recommend it for use with CINEMA 4D.
Cheers
Björn

Very good to know.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #24
phobos
Over and out

portfolio
Dimitris Katsafouros
Art Director
WeArePitchBlack
Athens, Greece

For me apart from the OS it's all the little apps and utilities I've come to depend on to make the repetitive and mundane tasks easier to handle.
I wouldn't know where to begin to find those utilities on the PC side.

Example 1: Hazel.
Hazel is a great automator tool. You create very easily rules for files and folders. You can program it to look at specific folders for specific file types and do several actions on those files. From renaming the files and moving them automatically to a different folder to automatic maintenance of certain folders. For example before hazel I would have a dropbox folder that was always full because I couldn't be bothered going in there and doing the maintenance that was necessary. Now after some set of rules that automatically move around files depending on the naming and the type of file I have a clean dropbox that is automatically clean without me doing any work on it. The same goes for my downloads folder. If I don't move any of that stuff in a day all the files that are in there are automatically sent to trash.
Or for example organising stock images which is something that I deal with every day. Giving it a certain label automatically moves those files to a specific folder along with some other tags attached to the file for easy finding.
Or Invoicing and billing. Company E bills for example have a specific naming structure depending on the company. I have set some rules that when a specific file naming appears in a folder a set of actions happen. The file is being renamed with the given month and year and also moved to the ebill folder of that company. Add to that some scripting for the computer to automatically go to those sites and download those files for you and you saved yourself a lot of time doing mundane things!
There are so many things you can do with it. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

Example 2: Alfred
Alfred is not just an app launcher. As a matter of fact I don't use it at all in that capacity. I use spotlight for that. With alfred you use basically a text system to do things fast. From navigating to folders and moving things around to quick searches to sites for specific things. You can also navigate and play music through it which is very fast instead of going to itunes and finding what you want etc. These are only a few examples of my daily use for it. Alfred is a very powerful tool and I must be using only 20% of its capabilities! There are people smarter than me out there that use it to its full strengths and seeing them work with it will blow your mind! It's like watching a master at work!!

Example 3: OSX's color metering tools and the equivalent of print screen which gives also pixel dimensions for anything in your screen. I'm using this feature all the time!
And the list goes on (xtrafinder,defaultfolderx etc).
I know that these are things that aren't that important for everyone.
These kind of tools might also exist on the PC side but so far I've been asking my friends for these types of things and they couldn't give me any alternative examples.

This is so out of subject given this is in a Cinema 4d forum but since we're on the mac discussion I though I might as well mention those things!

If the moderators feel it's out of place go ahead and delete this post!

Last edited by phobos : 04-27-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #25
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Dimitris, thanks for the info, very useful!

1. Is Hazel Mountain Lion compatible? It sounds really cool, is it working off Automator or entirely doing its own thing?

2. Could you explain a bit more about Example 3?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #26
phobos
Over and out

portfolio
Dimitris Katsafouros
Art Director
WeArePitchBlack
Athens, Greece

Hey Andrew glad you found it useful!
Yes Hazel is Mountain Lion compatible. You can use Automator on top of the Hazel. So you can set a rule that if this file has the characteristics you have set then run this Automator workflow! It also works with Apple script.

The 3rd example is really simple. I'm using digital color meter which comes with osx by default. With it you can do lots of neat little things with colors displayed on your screen. For example get the RGB value of some part of your screen. Or display that value as an Adobe RGB value. Also if you click with your mouse the value gets copied on the clipboard etc. It's great if you're building sites or if you want to take a quick colour value out of an image you saw on the net or whatever. It's great for texturing as well. I'm sure there are a gazillion little apps like that on the PC side as well but this is one that works really well and comes by default with the OS.
It's definitely not for everyone!!!

As for the screen grabs.
ctrl+cmd+shift+4 gives you basically a croshair that does 3 things. First of all takes a screengrab of your selection and copy it to the clipboard instead of creating a file. That is good but the interesting part comes next!
First of all it gives you the x and y location of your cursor and on top of that if you drag with your mouse you will get a box with the part of the screen that is going to be captured. When you draw that box you get the dimensions of it. Both are great for measuring and placing things. Great for general design work and especially helpful for website work.
If you're not a designer you probably won't care at all!

Now if you use the shortcut above along with the space bar you can take pictures of a specific window instead of the whole screen. Which is great for pictures for tutorials. And if you combine that with the automated hazel rules you can quickly rename and file those pictures in a specific location without all the hassle of opening windows going to that specific folder etc.

If you add some other tools on top of that (which I think don't exist on the PC side but I'm not that sure) like Art Director's toolkit and sneak peek Pro you'll be all set!

Last edited by phobos : 04-27-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks a lot, Dimitris, looks like I'm gonna have to give Hazel a try. Do you mind if I PM you if I have a few questions about your workflows?

I've been using Voila and xScope for the other things, so it's never occurred to me that OS X's DigitalColor Meter app did all that. It's time I pay more attention to the Utilities folder!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
phobos
Over and out

portfolio
Dimitris Katsafouros
Art Director
WeArePitchBlack
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardseed
Thanks a lot, Dimitris, looks like I'm gonna have to give Hazel a try. Do you mind if I PM you if I have a few questions about your workflows?

Sure no problem!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #29
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
Slackers. :-D

These Intel chips overclock like crazy. Got mine on water running @ 4.8 GHz.

Lucky, its also a crap shoot with the chip you get not each chip can clock the same, I can get mine to 4.6 but since I went for 64gb of ram I can handle the voltage needed for r the ram stable.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #30
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
Lucky, its also a crap shoot with the chip you get not each chip can clock the same, I can get mine to 4.6 but since I went for 64gb of ram I can handle the voltage needed for r the ram stable.

I've got 64gb ram, too, but I have to run it as pc1333 even though it's rated pc1600. Anyway, the difference between 4.6 and 4.8 is minimal.

Thread Closed share thread