CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
khor
Octane For C4D developer
Ahmet Oktar
Turkey

Integrated Octane Render Engine coming up...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Is it true that the C4d plugin will not have a Mac version at launch?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardseed
Is it true that the C4d plugin will not have a Mac version at launch?

God, I hope not! Personally, I think in this day and age it would be just plain irresponsible for a major developer to release a single-platform software.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
God, I hope not! Personally, I think in this day and age it would be just plain irresponsible for a major developer to release a single-platform software.
Are the octane plugins really made by major developers? I thought each of the plugins was done by third-party.

While I don't really know anything about making software/plugins, I'd assume it takes a whole lot of extra coding to make a software work for a different platform. And if that's the case, why should they delay the release for one platform to when they've finished compiling it for another as well. Don't make much sense to me.

Last edited by FantaBurky : 02-06-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

On the Octane team apparently there are programmers for the render engine and then there are programmers for the individual bridges. The Max programmers, for example have had full integration back in beta but they probably have a much larger team. The C4D team consists of one guy and he left the team for about six months but came back last Fall I believe. Long story short, the render engines development wasn't slowed by individual software integration. You can double check the facts at the official Octane forums, which is also probably the best place to ask questions.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

It would be fantastic if this was integrated into C4D for Mac. The one thing I keep coming back to in Modo is the interactive rendering. It's just so quick and once you start using it it's difficult going back. This looks very similar speed wise.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
Decade
Expert

Graeme McDougall
London, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne

Irresponsible ? You what ? Irresponsibility is something that does real harm to other people, not lack of access to 1 of many pieces of software.

The difficulty of Mac support is purely Apple's fault anyway, not the developers.

This software is based on the CUDA programming language, which means it needs an NVidia graphics card.

The most recent officially supported Mac Nvidia cards are the GTX 280 & Quadro 4000 - both hugely outdated & overpriced & already incapable of supporting some features of even semi-recent Octane builds.
Otherwise the Mac user must resort to unsupported hacks of more recent (but still somewhat out of date) cards - no way would a professional development team gamble on such an option.

The upcoming K5000 should alleviate these compatability issues while continuing to offer terrible value for money for this type of application .
It's not a bad card but is suited to a tiny niche of the pro market, likely to be easily out-stripped by Geforce - based solutions for 1/4 of the price in both Cinema 4D Open GL viewport performance & Octane GPU render performance.

By the way, the developer of the Cinema 4D export plugin who left & returned to Octane is not the one responsible for the integrated Octane Render plugin. He is mainly working on the core Octane application now & a new developer has been employed full time to develop the integrated plugin for Cinema 4D.

Those who are interested would do well to keep their ears to the ground on development. The integrated Cinema 4D plugin has entered closed beta & seems as if like the Core Octane Render & the 3ds max & Maya integrated plugins, will go first to 99E in an open Beta, before rising to E199 for the final thing.
You will need a license for both the stand-alone & plugin so if you buy at beta stage =
E199 for standalone + E99 for Cinema 4D integrated plugin = E298
against E199 + E199 = E398 later on.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
robotbob
frequenting

portfolio
-->
is squinting in the south
Wellington, New Zealand

while not officially supported ( and you don't get efi screens ) with mountain lion you can plug any nvidia card in that does not draw down too much power ( gtx 580 )
i have a gtx 680 2GB in mine and it works very well with cuda apps.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade
The difficulty of Mac support is purely Apple's fault anyway, not the developers.

This software is based on the CUDA programming language, which means it needs an NVidia graphics card.

The most recent officially supported Mac Nvidia cards are the GTX 280 & Quadro 4000 - both hugely outdated & overpriced & already incapable of supporting some features of even semi-recent Octane builds.
Otherwise the Mac user must resort to unsupported hacks of more recent (but still somewhat out of date) cards - no way would a professional development team gamble on such an option.

The upcoming K5000 should alleviate these compatability issues while continuing to offer terrible value for money for this type of application .
It's not a bad card but is suited to a tiny niche of the pro market, likely to be easily out-stripped by Geforce - based solutions for 1/4 of the price in both Cinema 4D Open GL viewport performance & Octane GPU render performance.

It's becoming a broken record for me. I wish more than anything that Apple could get their act together regarding Nvidia, but it seems like a lost cause. My hope is for the Mac Pro to be updated with full CUDA/Nvidia support. If not then I am going to have to look elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbob
while not officially supported ( and you don't get efi screens ) with mountain lion you can plug any nvidia card in that does not draw down too much power ( gtx 580 )
i have a gtx 680 2GB in mine and it works very well with cuda apps.

Did you buy a flashed card or was this just off the shelf. If so I might look into this. I have an Early 2009 MacPro4,1

Help would be appreciated

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
soulja
Robert
Nürnberg, Germany

Mac Pro

I have an even older Mac Pro, early 2008, and I also just bought a GeForce 660ti for being able to use Octane. I haven't built it in yet because I have to wait for a power cable to ship, but here is where I read all about it.

The cables should reach me tomorrow, then I could tell if it works.

Last edited by soulja : 02-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
PhoenixCG
Pixol Pusher
portfolio
Tappan Peterson
USA

I used only Macs back before they switched to Intel, but after the switch it just seemed like a waste of money to me. What am I missing that makes them worth so much more than a PC with the same or better parts?

This post by soulja may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
khor
Octane For C4D developer
Ahmet Oktar
Turkey

Hi guys,

mac version will be available of course. Don't worry

Thread Closed share thread