Octane Renderer Version 1 - stable and very satisfying

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
I don't know about the external box but as a full GPU renderer, Octane doesn't care about bandwidth because it loads the entire scene & textures into the graphics card memory before rendering. That's why it doesn't matter for render purposes if you use a PCI-E x4 or other slower PCI-E slot on motherboards with some faster & some slower slots. At worst it would take a little longer to load the scene prior to rendering.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
c4d octane plugin

c4d plugin will be full embedded, you'll works as internal renderer.
only plugin price for beta price 99euro, for finale ver. 199euro

Old 12 December 2012   #18
Some christmas decoration animated in Octane

Hi All,

just for my interest I wanted to know the workflow between Cinema and the Octane Render Standalone version.
At the moment there is a plugin for exchanging scenes from Cinema to Octane for stills and also animated sequences. So, I prepared the animated scene in Cinema, set it up in Octane and exported the whole frames when to Octane.
Also, you can see some noise... - I just wanted to make an animation quickly with no need for high quality.

The only thing I've done was to add motion blur in After Effects. No colour correction or grading - just pure render.
These were the render challenges for Octane:
- GI
- Caustics
- blurry refletions
- just one HDRI image to lighten up the scene

Click here for some chrsitmas decoration (Movie)

The whole sequence took about 3,5h to render on my GTX 580 (Mac).

Merry Christmas and enjoy the next time

Serge

Last edited by serge-m : 12 December 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
That's awesome Serge. Can it output passes?

About the noise, I've had great success applying Denoiser plugins like Red Giant Denoiser II in AE. like the TV animation project I just posted was fairly noisy in the AO and reflections, and especially the soccer source footage.

So now I actually factor in Denoising in post, to save some render time.

Last edited by mustardseed : 12 December 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
Originally Posted by mustardseed: That's awesome Serge. Can it output passes?

About the noise, I've had great success applying Denoiser plugins like Red Giant Denoiser II in AE. like the TV animation project I just posted was fairly noisy in the AO and reflections, and especially the soccer source footage.

So now I actually factor in Denoising in post, to save some render time.

Thank you

I tried the build in noise reducer and "Denoiser" and it is just suboptimal... - do you have a specific setting for this very animation ?

Old 12 December 2012   #21
serge-m, I'm using Red Giant's Magic Bullet Denoiser II, and to be honest, I don't have any special settings. For cg work I haven't really gone into the advanced settings, and mostly get good results with just dialing the amount slider and eyeballing it. I usually turn off Enhancement since that reintroduces some sharpening artifacts. Motion Estimation is off for this shot too. Have a look at the difference in the screenshot.

For the soccer video though, that's a whole different story. Denoiser II made the difference between really crap footage and actually usable shots, since the source was video.

Of course, it might be that I'm not as discerning as you are, and your requirements are a lot higher than mine. I'm just a hack!

Originally Posted by serge-m: I tried the build in noise reducer and "Denoiser" and it is just suboptimal... - do you have a specific setting for this very animation ?

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Mind = blown. This changes everything. If it works like the proto videos on their site, I will be sending champagne and strippers to their office on release day.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Auckland is a long way from Cali, don't forget to leave some air holes in the crate lest you want him to think your kind gesture is some sort of a twisted threat.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
sweet, was hoping full support for a GPU renderer would come to c4d ( gives me another reason to upgrade my gfx card )

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Decade, from your explanation, it seems there is hope for external PCI breakout boxes.

Serge, rendertime of 3.5hrs for 112frames puts it at just under 2min/frame. So just to clarify, it is entirely GPU rendering, the CPU doesn't play a part in the rendertime at all?

Originally Posted by Decade: I don't know about the external box but as a full GPU renderer, Octane doesn't care about bandwidth because it loads the entire scene & textures into the graphics card memory before rendering. That's why it doesn't matter for render purposes if you use a PCI-E x4 or other slower PCI-E slot on motherboards with some faster & some slower slots. At worst it would take a little longer to load the scene prior to rendering.

Last edited by mustardseed : 01 January 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #26
Originally Posted by mustardseed: ...

Serge, rendertime of 3.5hrs for 112frames puts it at just under 2min/frame. So just to clarify, it is entirely GPU rendering, the CPU doesn't play a part in the rendertime at all?

Hi,

first of all: thank you for your answer regarding the noise settings - I almost forgot to answer

The entire sequence was done by GPU !
And you have to consider: this was more or less a full automatic setup !
GI, blurry reflexions, DOF, refractions, caustics... - all in under 2 min/frame illuminated just by a high HDRI image (no extra lights).
I don't went into a jungle of settings like in VRay

I'm really looking forward for the new plugin

Best Regards

Serge

Old 01 January 2013   #27
I don't blame you for not replying Serge, as I guess that wasn't quite the answer you were hoping for.

Octane is shaping up to be a game changer for C4d. I would love to see how Vray RT compares. Also, when C4d first incorporated the Physical Renderer, I had this strange thought that the Progressive Sampler was a first step to some future implementation of a RT engine...

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Has anyone seen this btw:
octanerender running on a RenderStream VDACTr8 with 8 GTX 580 GPUs
http://youtu.be/CZ1IRQTqMMY

Last edited by mustardseed : 01 January 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Does anyone have an example of a large complex scene rendered with Octane - a scene that would normally require 30-40 GB of RAM?

Old 01 January 2013   #30
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Has anyone seen this btw:
octanerender running on a RenderStream VDACTr8 with 8 GTX 580 GPUs
http://youtu.be/CZ1IRQTqMMY

Curious, do you think the GTX 680 would perform better?
There's 6 additional PCI-E slots available on my SR-X board and I'm interested.

I don't understand why it's not Hybrid though, why let multiple cores go to waste?

Thread Closed share thread