Octane Renderer Version 1 - stable and very satisfying

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Octane Renderer Version 1 - stable and very satisfying

Hi,

some years ago I purchased a Beta of the Octane Renderer . The Beta was unstable and my graphic cards had a moderate speed. Where was/is also a Cinema 4D plugin for exchanging the scenes between the two applications. I made some tests, but Octane crashes so often - also in the next coming releases - that I thought it will never be a sophisticated candidate for me to use.

...I thought...

With version 1 now and the Cinema plugin it is really fun now to play around. Octane is stable and faaast with my GTX 580 (Mac). You get highly realistic results within seconds !!!
You can also animate the scenes WITHOUT pre passes !
It is a node based material system, that actually could be a little bit more user friendly, but the you cant get the learning curve

Just yesterday I was playing around with a model (for a current job) in Octane.
This is a very fast test: I just imported the model in Octane and put a HDRI image into the scene. Thats it. Nothing special here. Took me about 2-3 minutes to set up the scene and less than 2 minutes to render the pictures (1027  550):

If you want to do more work, you can do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...HP0E65vap4&NR=1

Greetings from Hamburg

Serge

P.S.: I forgot to mention: the price is just $199,- and there will be an integrated plugin for Cinema, so that you can directly render inside the viewport.

Last edited by serge-m : 12 December 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
That's very good to hear. I got frustrated and gave up on Octane about 6 months ago, I guess it's time to give them another look.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Slight correction - it's 199, which translates to $260.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Slight correction - it's 199, which translates to $260.

Ah...right

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Looks fast. It's not a hybrid system though right? Just GPU?

Which of the unbiased render engines is hybrid?

Old 12 December 2012   #6
I've had Octane for a while, it's really impressive, just haven't had a chance to implement it into a production pipeline.

Originally Posted by ThePriest: Which of the unbiased render engines is hybrid?

Arion is hybrid I believe.

cheers
brasc

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Hey there Serge,

The Otoy website lists the Octane/C4D plugin as "coming soon". You mention you're using the C4D plugin. A beta version or other unofficial release I suppose? Or are there two plugins: one to export, and one that will make Octane work within C4D as your P.S. note states?

Your link "Cinema 4D plugin for exchanging the scenes" returns a "you are not authorized..." error; it might be active only for customers. Registration on the OTOY forums does not allow access.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Right now their is an .obj exporter, as of 6 weeks ago they got a C4D guy to start working on full integration into C4D.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
very useful for my HP Envy i7 laptop

Last edited by ahven : 12 December 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Originally Posted by lightdog: Hey there Serge,

The Otoy website lists the Octane/C4D plugin as "coming soon". You mention you're using the C4D plugin. A beta version or other unofficial release I suppose? Or are there two plugins: one to export, and one that will make Octane work within C4D as your P.S. note states?

Your link "Cinema 4D plugin for exchanging the scenes" returns a "you are not authorized..." error; it might be active only for customers. Registration on the OTOY forums does not allow access.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Hi,

I think, the plugin is developed by a user to help C4D users get their models and more or less basic materials into Octane. The more interesting plugin, that will be integrated within Cinema is coming in some time. And yes, you have to register yourself, to get to this special section of this forum.

Greetings

Serge

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Excuse me for asking a different question
I saw you are using a gtx 580 on a mac, I am looking for a solution like yours on a mac for using cuda without the need to buy a quadro card, can you please direct me on how I can install this card since it is not listed in the apple shop.

Other than that, great renders.

Thanks in advance

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Originally Posted by okfir: Excuse me for asking a different question
I saw you are using a gtx 580 on a mac, I am looking for a solution like yours on a mac for using cuda without the need to buy a quadro card, can you please direct me on how I can install this card since it is not listed in the apple shop.

Other than that, great renders.

Thanks in advance

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...472&postcount=3

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Thank you very much, I am going to try this thing

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Octane integrated plugin for Cinema's coming soon

Integrated plugin for Cinema's coming soon:

Looks good for an alpha version

Old 12 December 2012   #15
A bit OT, but would GPU renderers like Octane work with cards housed in external Thunderbolt PCIe chassis, like the one from Sonnet? I found this article on tomshardware.com

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rbolt,3263.html

From my understanding, the 10Gb/s bandwidth is the bottleneck for graphics intensive work and high FPS games, but since GPU rendering is more about using the processing power than real video output, would this work?

Thread Closed share thread